What year guys?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What year guys?

Okay you guys... I know you KNOW! What year is this Knucklehead? What's with the paint job? (Her name is Dot Smith and she was a member of the San Francisco motorcycle club, all the boys are in love with her.) I would love to have this bike!!!
    Attached Files

I would call it either a 37 or 38 EL, with a few period modifications of course!

Comment

Nice bike!!! It's also easy to see why she'd cause the turn of a fellas head. She's looking rather smashing all dolled up like that... Oh, and at first glance I would have said pre-'40 for sure but I'm sure Mr. Harper is closer to the mark.
      Cory Othen
      Membership#10953

Comment

Might be a 1937 oil tank with the supply line coming out there.
        And it might be a opticle conclusion/ullusion, but it looks like the brass fitting hanging out of the front rocker box near the inlet pushrod tube. If it is, that is 37 only.
        edit..No grease fitting visible on the springer
        Steve
        Steve Little
        Upper Yarra Valley. Victoria.
        Australia.
        AMCA member 1950

Comment

I think she is a 1915 model.
          D. A. Bagin #3166 AKA Panheadzz 440 48chief W/sidecar 57fl 57flh 58fl 66m-50 68flh 70xlh

Comment

The rear stand and info previously mentioned certainly say 37. I agree Chris, beautiful girl and the motorcycle is attactive as well. Where is it now?
            Kyle Oanes AMCA # 3046

Comment

The dash cover is also 37.
              She did a wonderful job on it.

Comment

That is one of the most tastefully modified/customized bikes I've seen. Everything about it is well thought out and beautifully done. . . Including her name on her gloves and the bow in her hair.
                Eric Smith
                AMCA #886

Comment

Not sure where the bike is.... I would love to find it and bring it back to my house.

Comment

I thought that was Dot Robinson not Smith. The back ground appears to be Detroit Harley Davidson store front. I will look into finding proof as I know a gentlman who worked for Dot and Earl.

The bike is a modified 37 with 16 inch wheels.

Joe
                    Last edited by Slojo; 10-25-2011, 06:42 PM.

Comment

Dot Robinson wasn't that tall. There is a picture of the two Dots together on the caimag forum.
                      Wonder what happened to Dot Smith? Is she still alive, by chance? She would have to be in her late 90's if she were.
                      Would be interesting to know what became of the bike too. It was probably Chopped in he 60's.
                      You know how them California guys are...lol

Comment

Originally posted by exeric View Post
                        That is one of the most tastefully modified/customized bikes I've seen. Everything about it is well thought out and beautifully done. . . Including her name on her gloves and the bow in her hair.
                        How about that sticker on the oil tank? That bike is awesome. I'm sure any one of us would like to have it in our stable.
                        Cory Othen
                        Membership#10953

Comment

Hi Joe,
                          Great to hear from you!
                          Nope, it's not Dot Robinson. Not even close, sorry. THIS is Dot Smith from San Francisco. She was a member of the San Francisco Motorcycle Club, as were her parents, Bob and Berta Smith. (I've confirmed this with the club too.)

Also, see more of Dot Smith on pages 165 and 206 of my book, "The American Motorcycle Girls, 1900-1950". She sure was a beauty and the bike's pretty darn nice too!

P.S. Good luck on the Cannonball!

Comment

Well I have been wrong once before but who is counting. A pretty lady on a bike like that one would think who else could it be. I guess I just assumed (Oh No) it would be Dot sorry for any confusion.

Miss VL Lady Girl Thank you for the good luck wish, will you be coming with us? (Say yes) Bring the massage master with you!

Joe

PS: I look forward to my personally signed M/C Cannonball book where will I be able to see you next?
                            Last edited by Slojo; 10-26-2011, 07:18 AM.

Comment

Hey Joe,
                              Not sure where we'll see you next? I don't plan on riding the next Cannonball, though I gave it a lot of thought. Daughter going to grad school helped me make the choice. I hope to drop in and see everyone along the way though. Are you riding the Ghost? I think Steve Barber is taking his same '15 too. I just remember him passing me everyday. I guess you were up front cause I don't really remember riding with you that much. My poor little Effie and her stock motor couldn't keep up with the strokers! But, we made it and that's what counts!
                              My Cannonball Diary b
                              ook will be out soon. I'll make a post here to let everyone know. I worked hard on it... just trying to remember what happened everyday was tough! I hope you like it.

My other half sends his best!

Comment

Working...
                              X