Cam cover help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cam cover help

I have a cam cover that is smooth, cast in baffle plate and a casting # of 25217-40 , the outside oil line hole appears it was welded up before chrome , but its hard to tell , what is this cam cover?

It's sounding to me like you have a late '36-'39 cover. Maybe one of the early knuck experts can confirm?
    Cory Othen
    Membership#10953

Comment

Thats what i thought but the -40 On the inside is throwing me off

Comment

I don't have a parts book for those years or I would look it up, ya got me curious now...
        Cory Othen
        Membership#10953

Comment

I looked in palmers he specifys some casting numbers but not all , and theres no mention of that number in the book ???

Comment

I just had a look through Palmers too. It definitely doesn't specify that number anywhere.
            Cory Othen
            Membership#10953

Comment

O.K. I found that part number. Go to page 177 in Palmers and it's the third paragraph in the right-hand column. It looks like you could possibly have a modified '54-'57 cover.
              Cory Othen
              Membership#10953

Comment

FROM WHAT I JUST READ , IT SAYS THE 2ND COVER HAD THAT CASTING # IN 54-57 , THEN 3RD VERSION WAS IDENTICAL EXCEPT 5/16 GEN HOLES , THE 4TH VERSION WAS IDENTICAL TO THAT ASIDE FROM SMOOTH AND AN ADDITION OF A OUTSIDE OILER PORT , THEN THE 5TH VERSION WAS IDENTICAL TO THE 4TH EXCEPT NO OUTSIDE OILER PORT . SO IF I READ THAT RIGHT THE 2nd Through the 5th Version all had that casting number , making this a 66-69 cover . Does that make sense?

Comment

Thank you co

Comment

If nothing else, I guess we hashed it out!! I'd agree that you've got yourself a cover for a generator shovel. I was quick to jump to conclusions and didn't read to the bottom of the page. Wow, we went from '36 all the way to '66...
                    Cory Othen
                    Membership#10953

Comment

Ya we went form $$$$$ to ¢ ¢ ¢ ¢

Comment

I just looked at a 66 and up cover and it has cast #'s 25218 65.
                        Kerry AMCA # 15911

Comment

Originally posted by kg993 View Post
                          I just looked at a 66 and up cover and it has cast #'s 25218 65.
                          It looks like it's back to the drawing board.

51 FL, could it be that somebody did a really good job at grinding off some ribs?
                          Cory Othen
                          Membership#10953

Comment

I have an identical cover in my stash and was wondering the same thing.

Comment

??? Back to the drawing board .... Can i just drill the oil passage and put the fitting in , as i would like to use this .

Comment

Working...
                              X