Correct fork for 1946 ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Correct fork for 1946 ?

I have an early 1946 bullneck frame. It's unclear to me what would be the correct fork to use with this frame. I have heard it would still be the inline style. Can anyone give some insight? Thanks,
    Eric
    :::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
    Eric MATHIEU @ Beauty of Speed
    www.beautyofspeed.com

I have seen 2 very original 46 OHV's with Bullnecks and Inline Forks over the last 2 years. 46EL

Comment

Palmer states the bullneck/inline fork combination was used for approximately 18 to 22 weeks of production.
      VPH-D

Comment

VPH-D

I do not believe that bullneck/inline fork production in 1946 could be anywhere near "18 to 22 weeks". That is almost half of all 1946 production time. In 30 years of looking at 1946's and trying to answer this question, I have only seen 3 to 4 original bikes with this configuration. Usually the serial number of such a bike is in the 3900 to 4200 range.

The 29 degree/inline bikes seem to be 1000 to 3900 and the bullneck/offset fork seem to be 4200+. My opinion is that bullneck/inline fork production was a mere transition period and not extended production.

Jerry

Comment

I was on a cruise once and there were soooooo many forks I just started with the middle one with a "Jethrow Grip"

Comment

Hi, I had an early frame, inline- 46, was 37xx s/n Also had a bullneck, offset- 46, was 44xx s/n
            from what, I have looked at in the last 20 years, I agree with Jerrys information
            LJH

Comment

Ok so from what I'm getting most 46 bullneck bikes would run offset forks. Thanks for the info,
              Eric
              Eric MATHIEU @ Beauty of Speed
              www.beautyofspeed.com

Comment

In your original post, you state that you have an "early" bullneck frame. If the frame is an early '46 with a 29 degree rake (often called a bullneck), it has to run an inline springer. The true 30 degree bullneck frames used an inline springer for a few months of production, and then went to the offset springer. Make sure you are correctly identifying your frame as a true 30 degree bullneck.

I just found a picture of a very original looking bike, 46FL49xx, with a bullneck frame and inline springer. Incidently, it has narrow brace fenders, early rocker boxes, and the early flat foot clutch rocker peday.
                Last edited by knuckleheadtim; 10-16-2011, 05:05 PM. Reason: Adding information.

Comment

Here is a factory photo of 46FL1080. It clearly shows the inline fork. I have another photo of a 1946 in the 4000 range that has offset fork.
                  Be sure to visit;
                  http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
                  Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
                  Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Chris, isn't that bike a WL?
                    Jerry, just parroting what I have read. I'm not as familiar as some of you guys with Knuck nuances.
                    What casting number fork would be correct for a 45FL?
                    Thanks,
                    VPH-D

Comment

Originally posted by VPH-D View Post
                      Chris, isn't that bike a WL?
                      Yes, that's a WL..

Comment

Oops, wrong picture.
                        Be sure to visit;
                        http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
                        Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
                        Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Working...
                        X