andrews cam #

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• andrews cam #

In my 47 knuckle, the cam has stamped on the gear "Andrews 48" I have looked on the Andrews site, but can not find anything about it. Does any one have any info on this cam?

Paul

You'll probably get the correct answer directly from Andrews

Comment

I shot their tech section an email with the information about 3 weeks ago. (I got the email address from their website) I thought they would know what the markings denote. So far, no reponse from them.

Comment

I got an answer from Andrews about the markings on the gear. They said it denotes it is a gear for 48-77 cams. I have been running this cam with this gear for 20 plus years. Is there any difference between this gear and one for a 36-47 gear?

Comment

The 77 and later Shovel cams were color coded to match the pinion gear. IIRC, the cam had a groove in the the gear to identify it. Cam manufacturers list their cams as 48-E77, and L77 and up.
          VPH-D

Comment

I may be mistaken but I think the difference relates to the amount of lift the cam has due to the different rocker ratio.
            I seem to recall that if a pan cam is used on a knuckle the amount of valve lift will be significantly reduced. Probably only affecting power at high revs.
            Pete Reeves 860

Comment

Besides the difference in rocker ratio, Panhead and Knucklehead cams have different spacing on the lifters. When switching them the rollers do not get full contact on the lobe. There can also be clearance issues with the lower edges of the tappet guides if switched. I suspect it is a Knuckle cam with a Pan style gear on it. They would interchange.
              Robbie
              Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Here is the reponse from Andrews.

"No difference for the gears we supply for any 36-77 cam, but they're marked
                '48' for the early style gear. Anything we've ever stamped on the gear never
                indicates anything about the cam grind, just indicates info about the gear.
                Cam info is always stamped on the cam blank."

Comment

Working...
                X