1938 vs 1939 frames 61 el

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1938 vs 1939 frames 61 el

Was wondering if 1938 frames were used from the factory with 1939 el models or if all 1939 el's came with 1939 frames.

I have a friend that has a 1939, early vin #, just under 1100, it has the 38 frame, this bike was restored back in the late 70`s from an old original

Comment

Thanks for your reply LJH. Wonder if the previous serial numbered models had the 38 frames too, or perhaps these were pulled from storage where the previous years of 38 run of frame build
      was mixed with the 39 frames.

Then there is also the possiblilty of frame damage, where the 39 numbered engine was in a 39 frame, the frame was damaged due to an accident and a 38 frame was used to get the bike back on the road.

In AMCA judging, how would something like this fare?

Comment

In the early 89's I acquired 39EL1194 from a guy who recovered it from a Bessemer UP (Upper Michigan) iron dealer. It had the 38 style frame with the welded closed brake anchor loop. It sure looked like the original frame to me.

Jerry

Comment

My 39 also has an early model 38 frame I believe, I never thought much about it, the brake anchor loop is open. The original owners son sold it to me in 1982, and did not remember his father switching out frames, but he did have a 38 knuckle as well that was in a wreck he had bought for parts in 1947. So maybe something was switched everything fits fine on it and never had any problems with it.

Comment

Working...
          X