Paint saver plus system

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paint saver plus system

After redoing my Knucklehead tank for the third time, I found and installed the Carlini Paint saver Plus system. It seems something has been added to the gas in the last year it is dissolving the paint under the cap. I bought the best clear coat on the market last time and thought it was fixed but a month later I had another mess. Has anyone else had this problem and has anyone else used paint saver plus? Is it working? If anyone uses this fix I am trying, the old eaton Long profile gas caps will not work anymore. I had to use the old short profile cap. Also if this ever is Judged would points be taken off for using this. A picture is enclose.
    Attached Files

Chris Haynes will be with you shortly.
    Eric Smith
    AMCA #886

Comment

Are you masking and then sealing the bung with epoxy?

Yes, it would be a points deduction if the paint saver system was installed during judging. It wasn't an original HD factory option available at the time your knuck left the factory.
      Last edited by Re-cycleInc; 07-20-2011, 04:02 PM.
      Scott
      AMCA# 13993

Comment

As Scott said, yes, the paint savers would be a deduction. So would the repop speedo, the brass surrounds on the cateyes, the shifter knob with the ridge around it, and the rubber on the dash edge, so I wouldn't worry about the paint savers.
        Robbie
        Last edited by Rubone; 07-20-2011, 05:24 PM.
        Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Come on Rob, Your getting old. You left out the knob on the gas valve. lol
          AMCA #3149
          http://www.thegoodoldmotorcyclepartscompany.com

Comment

Funny, Bob!
            I didn't mention it since it is an actual factory accessory(a later one). But I am curious about the shift gate. Don't know what year that knuckle is but HOPEFULLY it isn't a '39!
            Robbie
            Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Funny, Bob!
              I didn't mention it since it is an actual factory accessory. But I am curious about the shift gate. Don't know what year that knuckle is but HOPEFULLY it isn't a '39!
              And actually I am feeling a little old! Not enough riding time, too damn hot, and way too many forest fires!
              Robbie
              Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Thanks for the comments, no I did not use epoxy. The paint savers have a rubber gasket that fits tight when the stainless steel is pressed down, they supply a silicone to put between that and the tank. Yes the bike is a 39 and the shift is a regular 4 speed not the 39 only year the original owner replaced it way back. He also replaced the tail light with the screws as he kept breaking the glass with the springs. The tank shut off gas valve he claimed came with the bike when he bought it new. I will never have it judged as you pointed out there are too many other things that need replaced but that is what I got.

Comment

Robbie - Would the speedo be a deduction? I was under the impression that if a 'best available' repop item was used and it looked close enough to the original it would be acceptable? The unit in the picture has the bar and shield logo, but the short side of the needle is missing the ball so it's not identical to an original but it looks like a decent repop from afar. I can't remember is the 'best available' rule applies to only wearable parts such as cylinders, heads, etc. Not sure if a speedo falls into that category but the originals are sure hard to find!

Rod - The savers are a nice item for a bike with great paint....I don't have that problem since someone rattle-canned my panhead 30 years ago. If you were contemplating another attempt on the paint, just mask off a small reveal (a little more than a 16th of an inch or so) around the bung opening, paint, clear and then remove the tape when it's all dry. Then apply a small amount of epoxy over the reveal and the edge of the paint to seal everything up. The epoxy will keep the vapors from seeping under the coats of paint and clear. Enjoy riding that knuck!
                  Last edited by Re-cycleInc; 07-20-2011, 08:10 PM.
                  Scott
                  AMCA# 13993

Comment

Scott,
                    The unit in the picture has the bar and shield logo, but the short side of the needle is missing the ball so it's not identical to an original but it looks like a decent repop from afar.
                    The speedo is an obvious repro with features not at all like an original. Screws in the face , wide bezel, on top of needle shape. It would be an instant deduction. Regretfully no one makes a nice repro and as you stated, originals are over the top price wise. But to make a correct one for a VERY limited market would likely price them over the cost of originals. Just the sad reality.
                    And Rod,
                    Since it is a '39 the tanks would be a major deduction as they did not exist then. But it should still be a fine rider and hopefully you are doing that every chance you get! Who cares what an old fool thinks!!
                    Robbie
                    Last edited by Rubone; 07-20-2011, 10:00 PM.
                    Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

[QUOTE=Re-cycleInc;111649]Robbie - Would the speedo be a deduction? I was under the impression that if a 'best available' repop item was used and it looked close enough to the original it would be acceptable? The unit in the picture has the bar and shield logo, but the short side of the needle is missing the ball so it's not identical to an original but it looks like a decent repop from afar. I can't remember is the 'best available' rule applies to only wearable parts such as cylinders, heads, etc. Not sure if a speedo falls into that category but the originals are sure hard to find!

Note the speedo has the '37 appearance, and not a '39 appearance. Even if it was a real one, you'd get deducted for having the wrong year.

Comment

Rod E
                        I think it look great!!

Comment

Deductions should be made if a reproduction part is not accurate.There is nothing in the Judging hand book that says Best Available? The wording that covers reproduction parts actually says. “Accurately reproduced parts count the same as original” the key word I think is ACCURATLY.
                          Pete Reeves 860.

Comment

a little late and i don't check the amca as often as i should but i was under the impression that cat eye lens's were all steel and the brass ones are reproduction? true or false..
                            AMCA #765

Comment

Working...
                            X