36 Knuckle on ebay Item: 170661293721

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Matt McManus
    replied
    Originally posted by Chris Haynes View Post
    The pushrod tube clips on that bike are not correct '36.
    If you notice I typed pushrod tubes -(minus) the clips. I know they are incorrect, thanks for pointing out that miniscule detail that I had already acknowledged and mentioned.

    Leave a comment:


  • Chris Haynes
    replied
    Originally posted by Matt McManus View Post
    The frame is a 1939 I think, kinda hard to tell from the small photos the guy had up. Its ok though because my dad already has a real 36 frame. The parts that I saw that I knew that could be used on a 36 are cases, tanks, fenders, oil tank, wheels, hubs, air cleaner, shift arm, shift gate, pushrod tubes -the clips, and the seller has the original primary cover, early clutch, headlight, 4 fin cylinders, and clutch release arm that he is throwing in with the bike. If there is more that will be a great suprise, if not that is ok because I am not expecting there to be anything else there.
    The pushrod tube clips on that bike are not correct '36.

    Leave a comment:


  • Chris Haynes
    replied
    Originally posted by exeric View Post
    Almost every bike I've owned has taken years of parts hunting, and for me, that is the fun of this hobby. I've been looking for a generator for my 1919 Henderson for 20 years and I don't think there is anything on a '36EL that is that hard to find. The most important commodity for building any bike is the desire and the drive to see it through.
    There are lots of hard to find parts for a '36. Part design changed several times during production. When restoring a '36 E you have to really do your homework to determine which part is correct for your engine number.

    Leave a comment:


  • len dowe
    replied
    Originally posted by upsrod View Post
    I like 38 EL's the best!
    I like them the best as well. Thats why i have a 38el, 38uh, 38chief. Now all i need is a 38 45"
    Last edited by len dowe; 06-30-2011, 10:38 AM.

    Leave a comment:


  • Matt McManus
    replied
    Originally posted by Chris Haynes View Post
    Good luck Matt. I hope the frame is right. Couldn't tell by the small fuzzy photos.
    The frame is a 1939 I think, kinda hard to tell from the small photos the guy had up. Its ok though because my dad already has a real 36 frame. The parts that I saw that I knew that could be used on a 36 are cases, tanks, fenders, oil tank, wheels, hubs, air cleaner, shift arm, shift gate, pushrod tubes -the clips, and the seller has the original primary cover, early clutch, headlight, 4 fin cylinders, and clutch release arm that he is throwing in with the bike. If there is more that will be a great suprise, if not that is ok because I am not expecting there to be anything else there.

    Leave a comment:


  • exeric
    replied
    Almost every bike I've owned has taken years of parts hunting, and for me, that is the fun of this hobby. I've been looking for a generator for my 1919 Henderson for 20 years and I don't think there is anything on a '36EL that is that hard to find. The most important commodity for building any bike is the desire and the drive to see it through.

    Leave a comment:


  • 46EL
    replied
    Originally posted by Chris Haynes View Post
    Sour grapes has nothing to do with it. If you really wanted one and the price isn't in you budget you should start gathering parts. With all the nice '36 reproduction stuff out there it is easier to build one today than it was 20 years ago. Engine and transmission parts aren't that hard to come by. As with most bikes, sheet metal is the problem.
    I started with a set of cases I bought from Larry Anderson. In gathering parts I came across enough stuff to dry assemble two roller '36 EL's. 1004 and 1032. Times got tough a few years ago and I sold a 80% complete 1032 to Walt Adams for 15 grand. Now a bare frame commands that amount. The stuff is out there. If ya want one start collecting.
    People are basically afraid of 36's and the cost involved. I know of 5 different 36's for sale just in the northeat corner of the US. I also know of 3 NICE original frames for sale and they are both east of the Mississippi. Gas Tanks are around from time to time. Left tanks are a little hard but they do pop up and someone who knows what they are doing can make a 40-46 right into a 36 just by replacing the nipple. Thin Brace Fenders come up from time to time right on ebay. And if they don't have the butterfly brace add it and now it is a 36 fender. I saw 3 different late VL rear fenders at Oley and they all had the rear fender flap on them. Buy the fender remove the flap and resell the main part and there is a reasonably priced flap for 2-3 hundred. You can make a 37 Oil Tank into a 36 the same way as the gas tank by easily adding a fitting. Two years ago at Rhinebeck I found a 36 Dash Base and an original 36 dash cover along with a nice repop seat t for 5 bills. But that is all work and a lot of guys today are lazy and want it all handed to them on a silver platter and they want it for next to nothing. When I see mocked up non-original mass produced 47 knuckles selling on ebay for 40 PLUS please tell me why 36's priced between 50 and 75K are hard to sell? The economy? Noboddy here in the US wants to tie up that kind of money as I well know? Come september i'll be parting out a nice restorable 36E that nobody wants to step up to the plate and even look at it.?? So if you have to step up and buy a bike for 30 and just use it for parts that is what you have to do. I once bought a complete running mismatched cases 39EL with large port heads in a 41-45 chassis just to get a cam cover and a 37 oil tank. I ended up parting out the whole running bike 10+ years ago cause nobody wanted to give me 12.5 for it. I ended up making money and the cam cover and oil tank were free! And the nice original chassis went in a bunch of different directions and made a bunch of builders happy as it was all nice stuff. 46EL

    Leave a comment:


  • Chris Haynes
    replied
    Originally posted by exeric View Post
    It's all sour grapes Chris. Everyone wishes they had a '36EL and I'm no different.
    Sour grapes has nothing to do with it. If you really wanted one and the price isn't in you budget you should start gathering parts. With all the nice '36 reproduction stuff out there it is easier to build one today than it was 20 years ago. Engine and transmission parts aren't that hard to come by. As with most bikes, sheet metal is the problem.
    I started with a set of cases I bought from Larry Anderson. In gathering parts I came across enough stuff to dry assemble two roller '36 EL's. 1004 and 1032. Times got tough a few years ago and I sold a 80% complete 1032 to Walt Adams for 15 grand. Now a bare frame commands that amount. The stuff is out there. If ya want one start collecting.

    Leave a comment:


  • Chris Haynes
    replied
    Good luck Matt. I hope the frame is right. Couldn't tell by the small fuzzy photos.

    Leave a comment:


  • Matt McManus
    replied
    I clicked the button but it was for my dad. With that bike and all of the parts he already has he should end up with a nice 36 one day. I am just curious of the finer details of the bike. I guess I will have to wait for it to get here to see everything.

    Matt

    Leave a comment:


  • knuckjunky
    replied
    Matt, If you got that bike, great for you. It looks really nice. Maybe I'll be quicker on the switch next time!

    Leave a comment:


  • upsrod
    replied
    I like 38 EL's the best!

    Leave a comment:


  • exeric
    replied
    It's all sour grapes Chris. Everyone wishes they had a '36EL and I'm no different. It isn't just the value, it's also the position it holds as the mother of all modern Harleys. Still, I like the '37 and '39 better for looks. I know Matt McManus got it and I'm (kind of) happy for him. I hope he has a lot of fun with it.

    Leave a comment:


  • Chris Haynes
    replied
    There were less than 2,000 OHV's built in 1936. 1937 produced 2,025. This makes them pretty close. However there were 6,801 U models built in 1937 so there are lots more '37 parts out there than there is for a '36. To add to the confusion some '36 parts had as many a five variations during their short production run.

    Leave a comment:


  • exeric
    replied
    It's funny, but there seem to be more '36ELs out there than ever before. People say they're rare, but I have to wonder if it's not the '37ELs that are the more rare of the two. Personally, I think the paint jobs for '37 make them the better looking bike.

    Leave a comment:

Working...