'47 Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '47 Help

Hey Folks, new member to the club and forum. Just picked up a 1947 EL and could use a little help figuring out this mix matched front end. I have got to the point of knowing it is a 45 springer due to its 7/8 neck stem. However, the rockers are on the outside of the legs and seem to be from an OHV springer. The star hub rime (3.5x16) will not fit once a brake drum from V-Twin has been put on. There is not enough room between the legs. Any suggestions?

A picture would do wonders towards helping you out. However, Servi-car and WLC (both 45s) use 7/8ths stem forks with big twin rockers and wheel assemblies. A 3.5x16 should work fine with your set-up. If it does not, something is wrong! So post a picture or two of what you have.
    Robbie
    Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

IMG_1167.jpgIMG_1165.jpgIMG_1168.jpgIMG_1169.jpgIMG_1166.jpgLet me see if I can figure this posting pics thing out?IMG_1167.jpgIMG_1165.jpgIMG_1168.jpgIMG_1169.jpg
      Last edited by hdkh1947; 06-27-2011, 12:19 AM.

Comment

IMG_1171.jpgIMG_1170.jpgIMG_1172.jpg

There are the pics, if not good enough let me know. I'll try to do better. Thanks

Comment

From what I can see in your pictures the rocker stud on the spring leg left side is for a 45". If you have a parts book look at the differences in the four rocker studs. If your frame is 1947 I think it should have a "offset springer" and your photo shows an "inline Springer". I think all 45" springers were of the inline type.

Comment

Better pics of the rockers will help, but as pointed out those are 45 rocker studs and not correct for Big Twin rockers. So tose rockers may have been modified to use them since 45 rocker studs are shorter overall than BT. What measurement do you have inside to inside across the axle mounting?
            Robbie
            Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

No doubt the studs are most likely 45's. The one pointed out above for sure, but all of them are short of coming all the way through the rockers. The inside to inside distance between the rockers by axle mounting holes is 7 15/16 inches. As I understand it the offset springer is indeed the one for the 47 model. Is what I have worth trading for something a bit closer to what ought to be on this old gal? Our goal for now is to get her up and running. After sitting for who knows how long? She started right up and sound and feels great! Ultimately restoration to at least period correctness is the plan.
              Jonathan
              Thanks for all the help with this!

Comment

IMG_1174.jpgIMG_1175.jpgIMG_1176.jpgIMG_1177.jpg

Here are a few more pics of the rockers. You can see how the studs do not reach all the way through the nuts on the insides of the rockers.
                Just sitting here thinking and wondering if the offset springer thing in 47 was due to the 30 degree rake of the bull neck frame? You think H-D was trying to get back to the 29 degree rake?
                Last edited by hdkh1947; 06-27-2011, 10:13 AM.

Comment

OK, The good news is that you have Big Twin/ Servi-Car/WLC rockers. The studs are the wrong ones. It appears someone tried to assemble it with 45 studs, an easy issue to fix. Also a reason why the width does not work out. BT rocker stud kits are available everywhere.
                  As far as offset springers, the '47-'48 springers are hard to find and expensive. If you are just building a rider you can do it with what you have. Their is a kit to adapt 45 forks to BT frames. Kick Start lists them. The offset fork was H-D's attempt at manipulating the trail and eliminating the high speed handling issues with the 16" wheels that persisted despite the frame change in '41. If you use what you have there will be a greater distance from the front of the frame to the rear end of the front fender. I suspect most folks would not even notice it.
                  Robbie
                  Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Thanks bro! So all I need is a set of BT springer studs and I'll be in business? Will that settle the axle mounting issue as well? Or do I need more than just the studs? I already have the neck nutz and bearings I need to fit the bearing cups and neck stem. And does Kick Start have a web site? I did a google and got no web info?
                    Jonathan

Comment

Installing the BT rocker studs may take care of your problem if the axle/spacers/etc you have are correct for a stock wheel and not custom junk.
                      Kick start does not have a web site, but he does have a really cool catalog. He is in Wyoming, Michigan, I think this is the number. (616) 245-8991
                      Robbie
                      Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Hi there,
                        Kick Start's number is 616-245-8991. Chuck will answer the phone. Don't call after 4:30p
                        He has a huge stock room and is fair in his pricing. I just did a 47 FL motor and got almost everything from Chuck...his info is...
                        Kickstart motorcycle parts inc.
                        PO box 9347
                        Wyoming, Michigan, 49509
                        Ask him for a catalogue...It's great with a mountain of info besides parts.
                        Good luck,
                        Fla George Quinn amca 6362
                        Linkert rebuilding, sales, parts & trades
                        772-201-4242
                        Last edited by ngquinn; 09-05-2011, 03:56 PM.

Comment

Kickstart motorcycle parts inc.
                          Po box 9347 Wyoming Mi. 49509
                          616-245-8991
                          Ask for his great catalogue

Comment

All the mounting studs are for a 45". You need all new studs . Colony has everything you need.
                            Last edited by Chris Haynes; 09-05-2011, 09:50 PM.
                            Be sure to visit;
                            http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
                            Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
                            Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Working...
                            X