Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Harley Frame identification ? 1930 ?

Hi all,

I’m considering the purchase of a project frame and have been told it’s a 1930 Harley D Frame,

There are no numbers stamped anywhere but we do have all casting numbers beginning with “SE”

I’ll attach some photos and look forward to any advice or info.

cheers, Steve

You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 4 photos.

That looks like a 1930-'31 D or DL frame with neck lock on other side.That would be one of the hardest Harleys to build from scratch or even finish an incomplete basket.Johnny Sells,restoration guide for 1929-1936 45' book would be the 1 with info.

Comment

Thanks Duffeycycles,

That explains why I had so much trouble finding information,

What would be the opinion of using the frame to build a custom, with mid 30s plus parts or would this be considered sacrilegious as the frame is rare ?

Thoughts and concerns appreciated

Comment

Only a 29/31 45 engine or a single engine fits it, no later engines will fit that frame without major modification.
        Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Thanks Robbie, pretty specific engines then,
          is there much availability of DL engines over there ?

Comment

Duffy & Robbie Rubone are absolutely 100% spot~on. I hate to detour your initial dream, but that build would nickel & dime you to death. Plus shipping costs from the USA, that is if you can even be fortunate enough to find them. Prices are through the roof with the DL's being so rare. I personally know a friend that has been trying to get his DL finished now for the past 10 years with frustrating rewards. But, don't let me stop You Steve, i've seen 2 or 3 '29~' 31 45'' flats pop up in the last couple of years, but they want top dollar & go fast. In retrospect, i personally would pass on the 'D' frame and start fresh with a WL build, where parts are plentiful and reasonably priced. Or, if you really feel frisky, go big twin and get the DL~RL look with a VL build and a Flat UL into the frame. *Sorry Steve Slocombe.

Good Luck Steve.
            Keep me informed, i can leave you my friend contacts in Australia that are into the American Motorcycle Past.

*M.A.D.*
            Last edited by JoJo357; 11-21-2023, 02:20 AM.

Comment

HaHaha Nickel and dime to death,? That’s excellent haha but not so excellent!!
              I see what you mean after a quick google of the handful of parts on the market, certainly not within my budget.
              the frame is a good price hence the consideration,
              so with some tweaking a flat UL may work within a better price ? I’m not against a 30s mix a lot of what may work,
              any suggestions on how a bike could evolve from this frame are welcomed ?
              thank you

Comment

Originally posted by Stevejones View Post
                HaHaha Nickel and dime to death,? That’s excellent haha but not so excellent!!
                Originally posted by Stevejones View Post
                I see what you mean after a quick google of the handful of parts on the market, certainly not within my budget.
                the frame is a good price hence the consideration,
                so with some tweaking a flat UL may work within a better price ? I’m not against a 30s mix a lot of what may work,
                any suggestions on how a bike could evolve from this frame are welcomed ?
                thank you
                As far as i can remember, i don't recall a...DL Mongrel. Or, start another post here for...'DL frame/Motor alternative'?
                Maybe this eBaY ad will give You a reality check Steve, especially if you inquire the seller on his price for his DL motor. Or, buy the DL frame and flip it. I seen one not long ago for 1000 USD~but it not sell.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/18616960418...hsAAOSwFjhlV6H

*M.A.D.*
                Last edited by JoJo357; 11-22-2023, 03:20 AM.

Comment

Dear Steve, the 1929/31 'three cylinder' Harleys were not their best efforts and the bike is surely inferior to the Indian 101 Scout. The idea was to put the new 45 cubic inch engine in the 21 cubic inch cycle parts, a mistake to be repeated with the 1933 Indian Motoplane. Nevertheless, Harley sold 10,000 of them over the three years, with many going to export. You should probably buy Johnny Sells' restoration guide in any case, and check the number of Shop Dopes coming out with changes. The 'pup' clutch and gearbox were not up to the bigger engine, and there were three(?) frames before the 1932 version with the generator laid horizontally across the front of the engine. A friend has just finished restoring a 1930D from a decent basket case and it was still a struggle. Many engine parts were changed in 1932 and there were several transmissions before the 1941 WL style, so the early stuff is hard to find.

As JoJo notes, the 1930 VL is the first frame to which you can fit later engines, and a favourite with bobber builders when the frames were a bit cheaper. The UL motors fit and the overhead valve ones too if you cut the tube under the tanks. Wheels Through Time have a 1936 knuck engine in a VL frame, and a video of the construction should be available.

Comment

Gday Jo Jo and Steve Slocombe,
                    I absolutely appreciate your knowledge and advice.
                    I’ll keep on searching and listening to gather more information on what may be a suitable project to endure.

In your opinion, what would be the most financially viable build, sourcing parts etc, WLA and earlier?

thank you in advance

Comment

Working...
                    X