Frame 2801-25

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frame 2801-25

Harley-Davidson jd 1928, I´ve been collecting parts for many years, I´m close, but I need a frame, 2801-25 in good condition, un cut, no welds,and fairly straight, and at a fair price, this is a retirement project.

Any offers or hints are welcome, I have many old nos parts from 1909 and on, f.ex. 2296-15 main drive gear, and other parts that I can´t put an exact year on. I´m located i Denmark, Europe.

pm please.

Regards
    Tom

Last edited by 2camtom; 11-08-2023, 10:20 AM.
    Tom

Exactly what year J do you intend building as there were numerous frame changes between 1925 and 1928 the years you quote.
    Peter Thomson, a.k.a. Tommo
    A.M.C.A. # 2777
    Palmerston North, New Zealand.

Comment

Hello Tommo
      I’ve been a side valve guy since 1967, but always liked the ioe motor, so now it’s the time to try making one. As I wrote I’ve collected most of the parts to build one, the base is a very nice 1000cc motor from 28 with matching numbers and very fine cylinders. I’m not going for a bike to be judged, but intend to make a daily rider, as it could look in late 20th. to early 30th. I’m aware that there was a lot of ongoing changes in those years, but I find it very hard to find documentation for the changes. I’ve got Hatfields Inside h-d, The legend begins, Slocombes new publication and relevant parts books. Any other sources to use ? – of course this forum gives a lot of information too.
      Regards Tom
      Tom

Comment

Tom,
        I'm sorry that I can't respond promptly but this coming weekend is very busy for me.
        Give me a few days and I'll see if I can help with the info you want.
        Regards Tommo
        A.M.C.A. # 2777

Comment

Here we go
          1925 frames had 5/16 dia rear wheel chain adjusting bolts
          There was a carry over to early 1926 with these frames but most of 1926 and all of 1927 frames had 3/8 chain adjusting bolts.
          So 1927 same as 1926
          1928 saw the first of the frame strengthning gussets, one at the top of the seat tube that the seat spring assembly goes down and one on either side of the top tubes just forward of the rear axle clips.
          1925 to 1928 frames were also drilled for a battery earth wire in the centre of the mudguard mount casting that is just behind the seat post.
          Early 1929 used this same frame but the earth drilling was not done hence no hole in the mudguard mount casting.
          At some stage in 1929 the final version appeared and it now had strengthning gussets at both ends of the seat tube and top frame tubes that go from the rear axle clip castings.
          If I haven't described this well enough and you need photos let me know and I'll see what I can do.
          A.M.C.A. # 2777

Comment

It is probably best to point out here the differences between the 1928 and 1929 front forks and front brake parts
            As i'm not good at putting up photos side by side I'll do it in single post and I hope those that are interested can understand.
            Firstly here's a photo of the 1928 and 1929 front brake plates sitting side by side.
            The 1928 one has none of the anti rattle mechanism that the 1929 one has so this is the first difference of the front wheel brake 3 28 and 29 front brake back plates.JPG
            A.M.C.A. # 2777

Comment

This next photo shows the 1928 style front brake reaction arm mount.
              Note that it doesn't wrap compltely around the fork leg 1 28 brake anchor.JPG
              A.M.C.A. # 2777

Comment

This is the 1929 style that wraps fully around the fork leg.
                This was done to stop the mount pulling off and or bending the fork leg on commercial and sidecar rigs during hard braking applications. 2 29 brake anchor.JPG
                A.M.C.A. # 2777

Comment

Tommo, thank you for the information, some of it I knew, some are new. You guys on this forum are a big source of information. Thank you for that. You don´t happend to have a 28 frame for sale?? or know anyone who might have.
                  Tom

Comment

No spare frame but here's a photo of the reinforced bottom casting of the jumper fork that is a 1929 only feature sitting beside an earlier style one. HD 5 1929 only reinforced bottom casting.JPG
                    A.M.C.A. # 2777

Comment

i have 26-29 JD frames available in oregon.

and to clarify: the 25 frame axle adjusters were not 5/16, they were something like 7/32" or so, a non standard size.

Comment

Send You a pm. Tom
                        Tom

Comment

Knucklehead
                          Posted below is a photo of my spare chain adjusting bolts 3/8 on the left, long 5/16 ones in the middle and short 5/16 ones on the right.
                          That drawer is a mixture of nos, used and home made.
                          The 5/16 ones started as far back as something like 1909 and as far as I'm aware were used right through to early 1926.
                          This morning I went out and removed an adjuster from my 1925 to make sure I wasn't losing the plot and sure enough it is 5/16.
                          DSCF4579.JPG
                          A.M.C.A. # 2777

Comment

Tommo, the 5/16" were used on 45" models, never on a 29 & older model.
                            If your 25 has 5/16" bolts then it's had the holes tapped larger which is a very common repair since the small ones are a special thread & easily stripped out.
                            The small adjuster bolts are used from 1909-1925 & are 1/4-26 in 2 different lengths. if memory serves, 09-12 used short, 13-25 used long.
                            BTW: i have HD's from every year in my collection to review (and a couple dozen duplicates) from 1910-1940 except an 18, 22, 31, & 36.

Comment

Hello
                              knucklehead 61
                              I'm interested in buying a frame for my 1928 build, do you ship to europe?, condition of frame?, price and freight? and a few photos please.
                              You may answer here or pm me.
                              thanks in advance
                              Tom

Tom

Comment

Working...
                              X