Saddle 1919

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Saddle 1919

Hi. Can anyone tell me if the saddle at my 1919 might be the original one? Seems most like a Troxel Jumbo. Found a discussion about it at this forum, and it might be that Troxel was used at export bikes also after 1916-1917? My bike was sold in Norway in 1919…
    Regards, Stein-S
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 3 photos.

Those are two very fine machines Mr. Stein S.
    DrSprocket

Comment

RichO: Only the 1919 is mine. The 25´ belongs to a friend.

Comment

Well then you travel in good company.
        DrSprocket

Comment

Hello Stein.S. I'm late to this topic but noticed that you never had a direct reply to your question. I don't hold myself out as an expert but I am 99% sure that the saddle is original to your 1919 machine. You will see from the previous Troxel and Mesinger Saddle Question topic I started a few years ago that the hardware under your saddle identifies it clearly as the "Troxel Export Saddle" listed in the 1913-21 Parts Book but which had disappeared from the next edition. This saddle has appeared on 1918/19 and possibly some 1920 machines in Europe and in New Zealand.

I agree that the cover is very much like a Troxel Jumbo but without the stamp. It also looks like the saddle fitted to some WW1 military machines. The spring arrangement is much simpler than the "twin spring" of the Troxels supplied on Harley-Davidson's up to 1917. My guess - and I could be completely wrong - is that Harley-Davidson had a stock of basic saddles, bought in from Troxel, and destined for military contract motorcycles. At the end of the war these were surplus and Harley-Davidson named them "Export Saddles" and supplied them with many motorcycles sold into foreign markets. U.S. home market machines from 1918 had the classier Mesinger saddle, originally with open springs until superseded by the "air cushion" Mesinger No 1.

You have a very fine machine there.

Mike .

Comment

I think the Troxel Jumbo 1st appeared in late 1915.Original paint bikes from that era show this seat but different springs.

1915 HD Gliders.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by MikeW View Post
              Hello Stein.S. I'm late to this topic but noticed that you never had a direct reply to your question. I don't hold myself out as an expert but I am 99% sure that the saddle is original to your 1919 machine. You will see from the previous Troxel and Mesinger Saddle Question topic I started a few years ago that the hardware under your saddle identifies it clearly as the "Troxel Export Saddle" listed in the 1913-21 Parts Book but which had disappeared from the next edition. This saddle has appeared on 1918/19 and possibly some 1920 machines in Europe and in New Zealand.

I agree that the cover is very much like a Troxel Jumbo but without the stamp. It also looks like the saddle fitted to some WW1 military machines. The spring arrangement is much simpler than the "twin spring" of the Troxels supplied on Harley-Davidson's up to 1917. My guess - and I could be completely wrong - is that Harley-Davidson had a stock of basic saddles, bought in from Troxel, and destined for military contract motorcycles. At the end of the war these were surplus and Harley-Davidson named them "Export Saddles" and supplied them with many motorcycles sold into foreign markets. U.S. home market machines from 1918 had the classier Mesinger saddle, originally with open springs until superseded by the "air cushion" Mesinger No 1.

You have a very fine machine there.

Mike .
              Thank you for very good information.

Best regards, Stein-S

Comment

Originally posted by duffeycycles View Post
                I think the Troxel Jumbo 1st appeared in late 1915.Original paint bikes from that era show this seat but different springs.

1915 HD Gliders.jpg
                Hi. Thanks for answering. I can see the simularity between the seat at the bike at your picture and the seat at my bike.

Best regards, Stein-S

Comment

Working...
                X