Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Citric acid as rust remover

Hi.
    I usually use citric acid when removing rust from gas tanks. Normally I use a mild solution and let the tank stand filled for a few days. Will this be a problem when the tanks are soldered together with tin?

Citric acid flushes with water easily, Stein,..

And is perhaps the best agent, although I cannot find it locally any more (except Kosher at the grocery,...)

Since vinegar, muriatic, and other acids do not flush as clean, leaving distinct coatings, I suspect citric is more friendly to soldering.

My experience with it was Federal R&D, so we filled baths with reagent grade! ("Budget" meant: Use it all or you won't get as much next year.)

....Cotten

Last edited by T. Cotten; 02-09-2023, 12:19 PM.
    AMCA #776
    Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Thank you for answering my question.

Comment

Originally posted by Stein.S View Post
        Thank you for answering my question.
        The important thing, Stein,...

Is to let us know how it goes!

....Cotten
        AMCA #776

Comment

Is there a concentration of citric acid that works best? Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by aumick10 View Post
            Is there a concentration of citric acid that works best? Cheers
            Its been too many decades to remember the Fed lab recipe, Mick!

(I could make up a number if I had to, and even convert it to a molarity.)

But since the heated tanks had crusts on the sides, I'd say it was 'supersaturated' in practice, although that's probably not the optimum, especially considering the expense.

...Cotten
            AMCA #776

Comment

Thanks Tom, that helps.

Comment

Originally posted by aumick10 View Post
                Thanks Tom, that helps.
                Not really, Mick,

The heated tanks were used mostly for lab glassware, not fuel tanks, so a quick websearch seemed prudent, until none of the sources agreed.

One source cited a pound per pint, which sounds pretty saturated to me! Another prescribed a tablespoon per cup, so I guess its back to trial and error.

Let us know how it goes,

....Cotten
                AMCA #776

Comment

I am still undecided whether to use electrolysis or citric acid. I have some cylinders that need cleaning, so i will have to check out the action of citric acid on cast iron.

Comment

I once used citric acid for cleaning rust from a cast iron 2-stroke cylinder. Had no problems. When drying the cylinder after it very quickly came a thin layer of new rust. So think good idea would be to dry it with air from compressor at once after picking up from acid solution.

Think solution I have been using is about 30 gram citric acid mixed with 5 liters of water. If possible the temperature should be high( max 60 degrees Celsius) Process works faster if temperature is high. Las time I cleaned tanks I just filled the tanks and let them stand outside for maybe 3 days. Sun heated the tanks daytime.

I know the mix acid/water I have been using is mild compared to the mix other people use. I dont know what is the right mix , but it worked for me.

Comment

The flash of fresh rust, Stein,

Can be avoided by quickly using WD-40 after the last hot water wash; The WD stands for 'water dispersant', and should be used to scrub the bore cross-hatch clean before oiling.

...Cotten
                      AMCA #776

Comment

Wd-40 will work. I am sute. The cylinder I cleaned was supposed to be spray painted with black heat restant paint, so had to keep it clean and dry. And that instant rust does not matter much. All in all I think citric acid works fine. When doing carburators made by aluminium it will be a white/grey coloured surface after. Not sure, but suspect it will eat the aluminium if treted in the acid bath for a long periode of time. So Maybe not a good idea….

Comment

I have no experience with citric acid on carbs, Stein,

The only carbs that crossed my benches that seemed like an aluminum alloy were GX Scheblers. and those required a LOT more than a soak!

Even white vinegar can get you in trouble if too hot or soaked too long, and invariably needed mechanical cleaning anyway.

My ultrasonic never took anything all the way either, but citric acid would be a worth a try.

....Cotten
                          AMCA #776

Comment

I find vapor blasting is the best process for cleaning carbies. Wash with hot water and air. The glass is too small to block most ports. I think from memory citric acid will eat aluminum over time.

Comment

The biggest problem I have with citric acid, Folks,..

Is that I can only purchase it on the interwebs.

Even the dear Kosher went missing at the "grocery".

....Cotten
                              AMCA #776

Comment

Working...
                              X