Piston Pin Lock Pins

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Piston Pin Lock Pins

Does anyone know of a source for NOS piston pin lock pins (part # 279-14) for '14-'26 iron pistons (The ones pins are essentially "cotter end nails")? Thanks!

Murray, I think you'll have to make those split pins, but McMasterCarr has 3/16 x 1.5 cotter pins that would also work. I made pins for my 1916 J cast iron pistons by turning cold rolled steel in my lathe, and using a slitting saw in a milling machine to make the split. The actual pin looks to be 3/16" dia x 1.25" long based on a few pistons I have laying around. I would have equal trust in a cotter pin.

https://www.mcmaster.com/90520A116/
    Eric Smith
    AMCA #886

Comment

Hi Eric--Thanks for the reply (and the link) Yes, I was planning on either using a cotter pin or making some pins in exactly the way you described....I was just hoping that somebody might know of a source or have a wonderful substitute that wasn't quite so labor intensive! I had a few of these pins (used but usable) but seem to have misplaced them, which is typical of the mare's nest I call a shop. Thanks again!

Comment

One thing I noticed when looking at the pin hole in my piston was the hole was a bit mis-aligned from end to end, like the drill bit wandered when it was drilled. I wondered if that was intentional to make the pin fit tighter or I'm overthinking a typical production anomaly.
        Eric Smith
        AMCA #886

Comment

Here's a picture of one NOS lock pin and two used ones.
          Originally the top splined portion would have been tight in the piston and would have had to be driven in. DSCF4480.JPG .
          Peter Thomson, a.k.a. Tommo
          A.M.C.A. # 2777
          Palmerston North, New Zealand.

Comment

Hi--as an update, I did find at least some of the used pins I had in the shop, and was interested to find that there are apparently two different lengths floating around out there, as per the attached picture; The longer pins are about 1.414" and the shorter one is 1.252". It appears that either will work in the wrist-pin bosses of the pistons I've got--one just has more material to bend over once the pin is driven through the boss (on both pins the bend commences at a point between the tip and the bottom of the slot). Perhaps one is earlier and one later? The other photo is of some of the pins I made in keeping with Eric's suggestion. Thanks!
            You do not have permission to view this gallery.
            This gallery has 2 photos.

Comment

Your pins are much nicer than what I made, Murray I really like the knurl and think that is a great feature. Harley-Davidson often had a unique way of doing the 'obvious' in their own special way. I think that is why people who really get into the minutia of H-D admire them so much. Great pictures, Murray, Thanks.
              Eric Smith
              AMCA #886

Comment

Thanks for the nice compliment, Eric--now I have to sort out the pistons I have and go from there! It is snowing again here, so I can rationalize spending time in the warm part of the shop to do that sort of job!

Comment

Working...
                X