HEITGER Carb for Harley 8D

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HEITGER Carb for Harley 8D

Hi all, I’m looking for parts, information or knowledge regarding a Heitger model K carb that came with my Harley 8D. I have already learned that some models had a glass float boat and that they were a performance upgrade. I need to get or make the parts, otherwise it will be a Schebler. Thanks in advance and Happy New Year from the UK.
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 4 photos.
    Ian Biddle
    www.f-head.com

Great project, Ian!

Unfortunately I have mostly poor pics, except these...

Heitger bowl 1.jpg

Heitger bowl2.jpg
    (Sorry I lost the credits for the pics...)

None of them show that manifold adaptation, which I find frightening.

I would keep my eye open for not only a Scheb for the interim, but an intact manifold as well.

...Cotten
    AMCA #776
    Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Great thanks. They’re the first glass bowls I’ve ever seen.
      Ian Biddle
      www.f-head.com

Comment

Here's a couple more I've snagged off the 'web, Ian,..

It would seem there were quite a variety of models, an aluminum bowl for the Model K, and this bronze bowl is as unique as they get!

Heitger1.JPG

Heitger3.JPG

HEITGER.jpg

Heitger ad.jpg
        ....Cotten
        PS: A float should be easy!
        Last edited by T. Cotten; 01-02-2023, 02:24 PM.
        AMCA #776

Comment

Thanks again, and I still have a couple of your excellent floats
          Ian Biddle
          www.f-head.com

Comment

I have a glass bowl Heitger on a Merkel twin, and I used to have a Merkel single that had a Heitger like the bronze bowl carb that Tom posted. However, that Heitger had "Merkel" cast into the body.(I've got pictures somewhere). I'll make an effort to dig those up for you, Ian. In lieu of having any practical experience with dialing in a Heitger carb, I would have to agree with Cotten, and believe a Schebler would probably be a lot friendlier to live with, but again, I wouldn't know.

heitger carb data.png
            Eric Smith
            AMCA #886

Comment

Let's see if I can make that bigger, and easier to read.

heitger carb data.png
              Eric Smith
              AMCA #886

Comment

I guess not.
                Eric Smith
                AMCA #886

Comment

Thanks, looks like an interesting article but I can’t enlarge or magnify it either. The Heitger might prove difficult to tune but it’s a bit more rare and interesting than the Schebler, especially with the glass bowl. Thanks again.
                  Ian Biddle
                  www.f-head.com

Comment

Here are 2 pictures of the Heitger model K carb form my Waverley single engine. It has the brass bowl. I believe the Heitger was standard on the Waverley, PEM and Jeffersons.
                    Tpm
                    Attached Files

Comment

Thanks Tom, yes that’s the K, great, thanks.
                      Ian Biddle
                      www.f-head.com

Comment

Originally posted by exeric View Post
                        I guess not.
                        I suspect you need to snag it again, Eric,..

Or have you a url to the g**gle page where it was snagged?

If your original is readable to you, please PM it to me, or email it to liberty@npoint.net if it is too big (.png files are inflated, and should usually be converted to .jpg),.. and maybe I can help.

It looks like maybe a Breeze on the left, and maybe a White? on the right.

And Ian!

Please let us know when you can dissect the manifold. It looks diabolical.

....Cotten
                        Last edited by T. Cotten; 01-03-2023, 09:48 AM.
                        AMCA #776

Comment

Greetings
                          I have made a glass bowl for someone in the past, it looks pretty much like the one that was posted. I'm a glassblower and was furnished a plexi sample. I made a graphite mold to make them a couple of parts. The difference between the original parts and the ones I would make, is the originals were pressed glass and have parting marks. The ones I've made are molded and have no parting marks, and are made of Pyrex. I've included a couple of pictures of the plexi sample and mold. unfortunately the plexiglass will not hold gasoline 20230103_105715.jpg20230103_105724.jpg . If you would like one made, email me and we can see if their the same. I just noticed that the Plexiglas sample has the same H.C.CO. on it, so they are the same .
                          Max
                          Last edited by maxglass; 01-03-2023, 12:31 PM.

Comment

You have to be the only guy in the world making Heitger glass bowls, Max. That is true devotion to our great hobby, and your kind of specialty skill, and effort is what proves that.
                            Eric Smith
                            AMCA #886

Comment

Originally posted by exeric View Post
                              You have to be the only guy in the world making Heitger glass bowls, Max. That is true devotion to our great hobby, and your kind of specialty skill, and effort is what proves that.
                              The plexi sample was enough to impress me!

(Let me know when there's a left-over Linkert, as my studies are all on the bench anyway....)

....Cotten
                              AMCA #776

Comment

Working...
                              X