Harley j model paint

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Harley j model paint

Hi guys this is my first post. I am in Australia (yeah yeah ive heard the prison jokes LOL ) restoring a 1924 Harley JE. Bike requires full restoration and my intention is to have it looking like it just rolled out of the factory in 1924 especially re finishes eg paint plating parkerising etc . Could anybody tell me what sort of paint was used on frame and tinware .I guess it would have been some sort of enamel ? Re finish on Schebler carby I figure plating it with nickel and zinc ( no brightener) simultaneously ( i do my own plating) would produce as close to original dull nickel finish. Any ideas ? I was fortunate enough recently to have purchased a one owner 1993 FXR convertible with 38 000km on clock in showroom condition with history. Would have to be one of best riding bikes from that era. Thanks for your informative discussions on these topics and more. Andrew

H-D baked their enamel paint in those days, but a discussion on motorcycle paint could go on for days Modern enamel paint from brand name manufactures is excellent, easy to apply, and durable. The tough part is getting the color right. Andrew, you are very fortunate to have a 1924 J as they are the last of the skinny Harleys before the streamline '25 and later H-Ds. You should get a copy of Steve Slocombe's recent book on the J Harley era as every J model year is unique, and individual, and Steve is diligent in his research. His book will be an important tool in getting things right.
    Eric Smith
    AMCA #886

Comment

Dear Eric, thanks for the nice words and I have also matched the much-used Olive Green paint to that on an original tank.

Comment

Hi Andrew. I'm across the ditch in New Zealand and, like you, do most of my own nickel plating. My kit gives a bright nickel finish - too bright for most items on a 21F model Harley-Davidson. I have (gently) bead blasted items before plating and while in most cases this reduces the brightness to a satin finish, it's still a way from the unpolished, nickel plated parts which came out of the "Watts bath" in 1921.

An option I'm now following up is the Nickel Chloride (with no brighteners) supplied by Caswell Australia

https://www.caswellplating.com.au/st...-crystals-1-kg

Mixed in the specified proportions with hydrchloric acid this solution is supposed to give the flat, grey finish of early dull nickel. I have ordered a bag but it's not yet arrived through the Covid-disrupted postal system. When I originally enquired about the finish this product produces their sales people were very concerned that I would be disappointed with the dull, grey, almost slightly rough looking finish that would result. I had to convince them that this was the finish I was looking for!

As I say, I haven't yet tried it but, as you do your own plating and the product is available locally, it may be worth a look.

Mike

Comment

Working...
        X