j d trans lubricant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• j d trans lubricant

what does everyone run in 3 speed trans?l heard that john deere grease works best.also where can a person get a grease gun fitting for the grease zerks on trans cover?

50 weight oil is what I use.
    I can't see grease or even semi-fluid grease getting out along the mainshaft to lubricate the mainshaft bush and the clutch hub rollers.
    Peter Thomson, a.k.a. Tommo
    A.M.C.A. # 2777
    Palmerston North, New Zealand.

Comment

Like Tommo said, I use H-D 50, or 60 wt. and a pan under the trans if needed. Mine being a 1916, it's always on the rear stand so dripping has never been much of a problem. The fittings you are asking about are called an 'Alemite' fitting and the grease applicator is hard to find. You could try 'Competition Distributing' as they might have the right applicator fitting. Most people will screw a zerk in place of the Alemite fitting for maintenance.
      Eric Smith
      AMCA #886

Comment

Colony machine in Brunswick, Ohio makes and sells an Alemite grease gun tip.
        Mark
        Mark Masa
        www.linkcycles.com

Comment

I believe Harbor Vintage also has the needed fitting . BTW 50 wt is recommended as OE but I use a modern multi grade lubricant compatible with the modern seals

Comment

found one.V TWIN sells them.pt number 9929-1t

Comment

Yes, that’s the one that Colony Machine makes. 9929-1 is their part number.
              Mark Masa
              www.linkcycles.com

Comment

14 oz. of John Deere Cornhead grease & 4 oz. of lucas gear stabilizer (or stp) is the recipe for sealing up a leaky JD trans.
                Also: replace both mainshaft bearings with modern sealed bearings.

Comment

Working...
                X