jd trans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jd trans

down to mainshaft in trans.how do you get it out of case? its a 3 speed jd trans

Do you have the cluster gear removed?
    How about the shifter fork and rod?
    Do you have the kicker side bearing carrier out?
    If that’s all out then the mainshaft will either just slip out of the main drive gear or it will need to be pressed out of the gear because the split bushing is hung up.
    Mark
    Mark Masa
    www.linkcycles.com

Comment

the whole mainshaft,cluster gear still on.shifter rod removed.what holds mainshaft,bearings all in case.does any place sell a repair manual.did lots of 4 speed trans

Comment

The countershaft cluster gear must come out first, Then remove the figure 8 lock washer/ The mainshaft bearing carrier is screwed into the case, with a right hand thread. There is a thin lock ring that needs to be removed first from the bearing carrier, left hand thread. Then the mainshaft should pull out of the case and main gear, with the bearing carrier, and kicker gears if they are still on there.

Comment

thanks mick that worked.do you have new bearing numbers for trans maybe

Comment

What year?

Comment

Hey, Mick I am working on my VL three speed do you know what the end play is on the cluster and the main drive gear . help is appreciated .

Comment

Not sure on the VL stuff.

Comment

End float on the VL countershaft assembly is free running to 0.010". With oversize 2308-16 thrust washers now available, this can be set up easily. I'm guessing the JD end float is the same. You can replace the 2280-15 ball bearing with a 6304-2RS sealed bearing, and it does no harm to leave the copper oil seal in there. At the drive end 1925-36 you can use a 6208-2RS sealed bearing, but must leave the 2288-17 end plate in there. All this, and pictures too, are in my VL restoration book. The new JD book also shows a lot of transmission details and technical changes. Mainshaft end float is given as about 0.005" but this is moot if sealed bearing are used. I tighten up the ball bearing holder until the mainshaft assembly is tight, then back it off half a turn.

Comment

jd trans is 1929.steve answered lots of questions.need to order his book

Comment

Replicant Metals carries my VL book, and also the new JD one which is flying off the shelves. Order them together and save postage!

Comment

i have.thanks steve

Comment

Working...
                        X