Rear brake drum fastening 16J

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear brake drum fastening 16J

Scary moment today when realising absolutely no brakes, survived by a acrobatic manouver but this cannot happen again. The drum has come loose from the hub, found the threaded tube type nut in the brake system. So how do you guys tighten this nut- Locktite, a lot of tourque, small spot weld or? I have cleaned it free of any grease but not sure the ordinary hammer and mandrel will do

It seems most every early American motorcycle used a splined brake drum, and drive sprocket that were retained by a large diameter slotted nut. I had a sprocket nut come loose on my '17 Henderson and it tore up a chain guard, and lots of paint. I made a new retaining nut and made it a larger diameter so it would have more surface contact with the sprocket face and used bearing lock Locktite (not the blue stuff). I also made a tool to tighten the nut. The tool was aluminum tubing bored to the diameter of the nut, with 2 set screws that that fit the slots in the retaining nut. I also have a 1916 J so your experience is going to make me take the rear wheel off, and check that out.
    Eric Smith
    AMCA #886

Comment

Right- the green stuff locktite it will be - but not a reassuring system, I guess you can also check from the outside if the drum is loose or not, will be standard procedure from now

Comment

Here is a drastic measure, sure to work.
        You do not have permission to view this gallery.
        This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Working...
        X