1914 Harley luggage rack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1914 Harley luggage rack

Can anybody out there help me? I am looking for the correct luggage rack for my 1914 Harley. Please email me at panhead.matz742@gmail.com

I've seen your post for more than a few weeks now and I've wondered if the '14 luggage carrier was different than the ones that followed. Sure enough, the 1914 carrier is unique which means it's gong to be a tough one to find. I wish you luck, but if you can't find an original, it looks like you might be able to alter a later one to work. I guess that's easy for me to say without an original to compare
    Eric Smith
    AMCA #886

Comment

I have some later ones, but i don't know what it would take to modify them to 14 specs.

Comment

I did some research a few years ago on this. There is a photo in "The Legend Begins" in the 1914 section. You can see the rack does not have the two diagonal supports that go from the rear top crossover to each rear leg. This is the only difference I could find. There was one on my 1915. I do not know how to post photos here. If you want some photos my email is , duda@rduda.com. Thanks.

Comment

I am not positive that this is a 14. However the rack is unlike any I have seen. It is made from tube and not stamped half round material like others I have. There are no braces on the rear inside.
          Be sure to visit;
          http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
          Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
          Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

I believe Chris is correct that the 1914 carrier is made of tubing and is not a stamping like later carriers. So, a later carrier wouldn't be right.

​ ​​​à ¢â‚¬â€¹Ã¢â‚¬â€¹Ã¢â‚¬â€¹Ã¢ €‹
            Eric Smith
            AMCA #886

Comment

As a side note, the later carriers were an amazing example of the tool, and die art and Harley-Davidson had some of the best die makers in the motorcycle trade.
              Last edited by exeric; 01-21-2021, 05:30 PM.
              Eric Smith
              AMCA #886

Comment

Here is what I think is an early rack
                You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

The picture I posted of the 1914 carrier dissapeared, and replaced by a string of odd character fonts. Let's see if this picture sticks.

4k.jpg
                  Eric Smith
                  AMCA #886

Comment

If we had some dimensions, a few could be made. They are a simple enough design. Finding a loose one not on a bike is a tough endeavor, I would think.

Comment

Jim, to me the 1914 carrier looks dimensionally the same as the later pressed steel racks, except with full round tubing. The cross tubing on my '16 carrier measures 5/8" and I would suspect the '14 carrier used the 5/8" tubing overall. Of course there is always something odd about this stuff and I've noticed that the picture Chris posted shows a carrier with 2 support tubes going down to the axel carrier. The picture I posted of a restored '14 has 3 support tubes, as used on later H-D carriers. Maybe the early carriers were weak and H-D added a 3rd tube to strengthen it.
                      Eric Smith
                      AMCA #886

Comment

Here are some more pics.
                        DSC00418.JPGrh_rear.jpgtaillight.jpgrearhub_LH.jpgrearhub_LH2.jpg

Comment

I have pictures of five 1914's that have racks. All have 3 legs.
                          You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                          This gallery has 1 photos.
                          Last edited by silentgreyfello; 01-26-2021, 12:12 PM.

Comment

Fantastic pictures, SGF. Pre World War 1 era motorcycles are by far my favorites. You have to stand in awe of the creativity, and quality of workmanship of early bikes, as well as automobiles.
                            Eric Smith
                            AMCA #886

Comment

Originally posted by silentgreyfello View Post
                              I have pictures of five 1914's that have racks. All have 3 legs.
                              I have to believe that production racks had 3 legs. The picture Chris posted of the 2 legged rack is probably an early promotional photo based on the large 'Harley-Davidson' decal on the tank. I've had original Excelsior luggage carriers that were 2 legs, and 1/2" tubing and they were always mangled, and bent.
                              Eric Smith
                              AMCA #886

Comment

Working...
                              X