1927 model J intake manifold removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1927 model J intake manifold removal

I’m wanting to remove my intake manifold and replace seals with Peek and replace. What’s the secret or should I say the proper procedures?
    Thanks,

Originally posted by Harold Schell View Post
    I’m wanting to remove my intake manifold and replace seals with Peek and replace. What’s the secret or should I say the proper procedures?
    Thanks,
    I would guess the first step, Harold,...

Would be the proper wrench.

Once disassembled, then please carefully inspect the spigots after thorough cleaning. Any perceivable blemishes or wear means that they must be machined true before custom fit with PEEK, and nothing mass-produced can be satisfactory.

With Js, the inside bevel of the inlet nipple must also be pristine. Please also remember that a perfect seal upon the manifold will not alleviate any leaks between the inlet nipple and the cylinder casting, and should be bubble-tested thoroughly.

....Cotten
    PS: By 'bubble-testing I mean http://virtualindian.org/11techleaktest.html
    If your assembly doesn't show even little blisters of foam at 15psi,.. DON'T FIX IT!
    Last edited by T. Cotten; 12-12-2020, 10:07 PM.
    AMCA #776
    Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Thanks Cotten, I do have the right wrench, purchased from Competition Distributing. Do I loosen all 4 nuts? Then does that give you enough inplay to take out?

Comment

Originally posted by Harold Schell View Post
        Thanks Cotten, I do have the right wrench, purchased from Competition Distributing. Do I loosen all 4 nuts? Then does that give you enough inplay to take out?
        Harold!

If you must,..please try to remove the manifold separately first, leaving the nipple inserts intact until you can test them.

Once again,.. if a bubble-test doesn't show a leak, don't take any of it apart!

(Anything taken apart is broken by definition.)

....Cotten
        AMCA #776

Comment

Harold
          Yes, you will probably have to loosen all 4 base studs on one cylinder to rock the cylinder away from the manifold to free it from the ID of the nipples.
          Mark
          Mark Masa
          www.linkcycles.com

Comment

Thanks to both of you. I have your test kit Cotten and will test before attempting removal. If needed, thanks for the tip Mark for getting the manifold out. I appreciate the help and knowledge from both of you!

Comment

Are the manifolds wider than the inlet nipples, Mark?

Or is it the squished ferrules that keep it from coming out?

I would hope knocking the manifold side to side with a soft mallet would push the ferrules up on the spigots far enough to pull it out?

Breaking a cylinder base gasket loose usually means its gonna leak!

....Cotten
              AMCA #776

Comment

Tom
                Yes, they are typically wider than the gap between the nipples and project into both nipples when installed.
                mark
                Mark Masa
                www.linkcycles.com

Comment

Originally posted by MMasa View Post
                  Tom
                  Yes, they are typically wider than the gap between the nipples and project into both nipples when installed.
                  mark
                  That's diabolical, Mark,...

But it explains why my PEEK services survive, even though I thought they were hanging by a thread,

Thanks!

....Cotten
                  AMCA #776

Comment

Working...
                  X