• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Forecar

Talk about rare.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Harley-Davi...4AAOSwAG9fFi74
    Be sure to visit;
    http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
    Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
    Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Thanks for the link Chris ! This delivery trike looks like it would have been clumsy to ride. Although this would have been for city delivery and not ridden very fast.

Craig

Comment

Patented by William Harley as the Three-Wheel Truck and marketed by the Motor Company as the Motorcycle Truck. I don't know why they like using the term Forecar in the description of this machine. In the write up on the auction page a big deal is made of the two-speed rear hub information for 1913, in every 1913 announcement or trade magazine write up I find for the Motorcycle Truck the two-speed hub is consistently mentioned. 1914 specifications also confirm two-speed equipped for the model year. There is a photograph which seems to confirm that the 3-speed transmission was utilized for the final 1915 model year.
      Last edited by badger34; 09-29-2020, 11:03 AM.

Comment

Forecar as the car is is front instead of being on the side? As in Sidecar.
        Be sure to visit;
        http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
        Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
        Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Well yes, but forecar is not a term commonly used in the US it's origins are English I believe. My point of view is that the term forecar was not used by The Motor Company to describe or market this vehicle during production.

Comment

Originally posted by badger34 View Post
            Well yes, but forecar is not a term commonly used in the US it's origins are English I believe. My point of view is that the term forecar was not used by The Motor Company to describe or market this vehicle during production.
            Cultural appropriation!!

Or maybe 'Tricar' was taken.

They did put it in parenthesis.

(Probably because it made more sense than 'truck'!)

....Cotten
            Attached Files
            Last edited by T. Cotten; 09-29-2020, 02:39 PM.
            AMCA #776
            Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

As you know that's not a period advertising piece attached above, it's a display or handout piece for the premiere showing of "Walter" in 2013. I don't believe that anyone will locate an original period piece of Motor Company advertising or literature using the term forecar.

Comment

Originally posted by badger34 View Post
                As you know that's not a period advertising piece attached above, it's a display or handout piece for the premiere showing of "Walter" in 2013. I don't believe that anyone will locate an original period piece of Motor Company advertising or literature using the term forecar.
                Of course I didn't know that, Badger34!

I don't do movies.

(Walter who?...)

Somebody thought Forecar communicated better, as it probably did in '13. Funny nobody made an 'aftcar'.

....Cotten
                PS: Doh! It was a 'rearcar'. Obviously the name doomed it.
                Attached Files
                Last edited by T. Cotten; 09-29-2020, 03:40 PM.
                AMCA #776

Comment

(Walter who?...) So my apologies, "Walter" is the nickname given to the restored machine in the ebay listing. This can be seen in the first photo provided in the auction listing.

I was fortunate to see this vehicle in person in 2014 when the owner brought it out to an event in West Bend WI.

My interest in H-D motorcycle trucks then peaked when I later noticed the following photo was posted on the Riding Vintage page. It shows a 1913 9G motorcycle truck dressed for parade duty chugging up the grade on Chestnut Street in Milwaukee with the H-D factory in the background. Farchmin's Bakery was one of two business' owned by my family at the time on Vliet Street just a few blocks away from the H-D factory. I have since been collecting information on the H-D motorcycle truck.

Comment

My fault, Badger34,

(It sounded to me like a movie premiere about Walter Davidson.)

Family History is priceless!

Wish I had some...

....Cotten
                    AMCA #776

Comment

There's an aftcar at Dale's place.
                      DrSprocket

Comment

Here's how it was described in the July 17th 1913 issue of "The Motor Cycle"
                        Attached Files
                        Peter Thomson, a.k.a. Tommo
                        A.M.C.A. # 2777
                        Palmerston North, New Zealand.

Comment

Working...
                        X