61" J Magneto Timing Technique? - Engine in Bike

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 61" J Magneto Timing Technique? - Engine in Bike

As an aside to my ongoing project thread I have a specific question about how people time their J's. Specifically the Magneto equipped models and in my case the Bosch ZEV mag.

I last timed this mag/engine on the bench and it was a bit tricky but not too bad. However, earlier today I needed to remove the mag (see build thread for why) and now need to refit it. The mag was originally (when I got it in 2015) keyed onto the shaft as per H-D's original design but the timing was way off so I removed the key so I could adjust the timing correctly.

On the bench and on my own it wasn't too hard to fit and time but with the engine in the bike and on my own I am struggling. I obviously need to hold the mag in the correct position whilst fighting against where the magnets want to push it and at the same time I need to fit the gear.

What techniques do people on here use? Is it always a two person job or have people developed tools to hold the mag?

All suggestions welcome.

John

Bosch%201.jpg

I know this instruction sheet is about useless, John but this is how H-D explained timing. Unfortunately, they don't tell you how to freeze the points in position while you're struggling to put the gear in it's exact position. One thing I did do with my timing gear was broach a new keyway in between gear teeth. That way I had another shot at more precise gear indexing.
    Eric Smith
    AMCA #886

Comment

This is why I still prefer Photobucket.

Eric Smith
      AMCA #886

Comment

Hi eric, thanks very much for your reply and I am sorry for getting back to this late although I do have an excuse (see my build thread for why)

I have that Bosch document and it is not the best. I did spend some time getting the timing done before I fell ill and managed it in the end. During the time I was playing around to it I came to the same conclusion when you say:

Originally posted by exeric View Post
        One thing I did do with my timing gear was broach a new keyway in between gear teeth. That way I had another shot at more precise gear indexing.
        I am thinking of trying to get a keyway as precise as possible so I can set the timing properly just by indexing the gears exactly as you have done.

Anyway, that will all have to wait a while.

John

Comment

Working...
        X