No announcement yet.

1929 mechanical oiler question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think the pump's function is to drool oil on the timing gears, and some goes into the crankcase. There is no pressure feed to the mains, or rods, and nothing gets returned to the tank. My Hendersons have a mechanical oil pump which serves that purpose. When I realized what it did, I thought it was a gimmick of that era that gave a nod to "new" technology; however, that pump has it's own petcock from the oil tank and I neglected to open it on one occasion. Those timing gears screamed bloody murder so the pump did have a job. The kicker is, Henderson used a gravity feed oil dripper in earlier days and it was just as effective as the mechanical pump, and far less complicated. With all bikes that used that primitive pump, you have to ride them heuristically and monitor oil accumulation in the crankcase to see if the pump is over or under oiling. Oil consumption is based on what gets burned, and what leaks Heavy demand on the engine called for a shot from the hand pump. I have to believe that the rider could hear the timing gears wailing if they weren't getting oil. I'm only speculating because I have never taken my Js, or Hendersons to that point. Cannonball riders could answer that question.
    Eric Smith
    AMCA #886

Comment

I have a 1946 1/2 ton chevy truck that still uses a "splash feed" system to lubricate the cranshaft. I think they finally pressurized the crankshaft a few years later, certainly by 1957.

Comment

Working...
      X