Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rusty Wheel Restoration.

Hello,
    Just picked these crusty clincher wheels up. Kinda nasty, but solid, straight, and not bent up. Have any suggestions on bringing these back to life?
    $_57.JPG
    $_57.JPG

*M.A.D.*
    Last edited by JoJo357; 12-19-2018, 02:31 AM.

Narrow flange rear wheels. 1915-mid 1919.
    What year are you using them on?
    Step one is to remove the guts and inspect the bearing races in the hub and on the cones.
    Do you want to get them back in order without removing the spokes?
    Mark
    Mark Masa
    www.linkcycles.com

Comment

As Mark said, disassemble the hubs, and inspect the bearing assy. I've done a lot of wheels of that vintage and I always strive to save the spokes, and nipples by treating them with a penetrating oil, and careful disassembly. Old spokes and nipples are re-usable, and generally of very good quality unless you can see flaws at the head area of the spoke. New spokes and nipples are available but they are expensive, and often generic, so they don't have the unique features of original spokes. Make a drawing of the spoke directions, and inside, and outside location. Separate, and clean the spokes; and your wheel will easily go back together.
      Eric Smith
      AMCA #886

Comment

Thanks Mark and Eric.
        Here's a couple pictures of the front wheel with a slightly worn tire. haha.
        I'm shooting for the long awaited Board Track project. Have a 1922-23? JD frame. Would like to keep the wheels as ancient as the rest of the M/C. All the parts are period 1915-1929--under Michael Lange's Board Track Rules. If i can swing it, i'd like to post the progress on Members Builds. I will have to call You Mark, and go over details on that frame. I have a 1926-28 'B' single PuP springer front end, i want to utilize for the build.
        Sorry for the late response guys--i need a 48 1/2 Hr. day--haha.
        1219181359-00.jpg
        1219181805-00.jpg

*M.A.D.*
        Last edited by JoJo357; 12-19-2018, 06:41 PM.

Comment

Sounds like a fun project JoJo357. Are you looking for any particular parts, or major components?
          Eric Smith
          AMCA #886

Comment

Originally posted by exeric View Post
            Sounds like a fun project JoJo357. Are you looking for any particular parts, or major components?
            I'm like a kid in a candy store Eric. Mainly because i'll be racing the JD at Wauseon, and Davenport. Have the majority of the majors. I'll have extra's to part with after the build. When i bought the Motors, there was a 1921 J partial, that went with the complete 1924 JD motor. Some clutch & Transmission pieces. Can't remember all, will have to take inventory. PM if you want a back & forth thing Eric.
            I do need a carb, i want to run a Linkert M51. Unless, there is an alternative, Michael Lange said those JD's run pretty good with the M51's. Also, possibly the Bosch Mag/tires.
            Thanks & take care Eric.

*M.A.D.*
            Last edited by JoJo357; 12-20-2018, 10:46 PM.

Comment

It sounds like you have things under control JoJo, and J parts are (surprisingly) still reasonably available. J vintage Harleys are my hands down favorite of all H-Ds. My theory about Js, and Indian PowerPlus motorcycles is; they made them too good so they lasted into the depression where they were ridden into the ground. Fortunately, enough owners took care of them, and the factories continued to support them with parts so the survival rate is well above terminable, (unlike Yale, Emblem, R-S, Thor, etc.).

In regards to carburetors. Big Lake Bob helped me tremendously with a M-18 Linkert for my 1916 J. Unfortunately, I haven't done much to say it has been a success because we've had a rough year, and I'm easily distracted by other shiny things However, the small Linkerts are highly praised by J owners who want to ride their bikes.

I am an advocate of the Bosch magnetos, and so was Harley-Davidson. They only used Dixies because we were at war with Germany and American Bosch assets were seized. I have not been happy with Dixie, or Berling 45 degree mags so find a Bosch.

I may have some small parts left over, so let me know.
              Eric Smith
              AMCA #886

Comment

Ya, sorta got it under control Eric. I was going to put the JD Crank in the 61'', but i think the slightly modified 74'' will do just fine. Reminds me of how Ford built those tractors. My 1949 8N is still running like a top--FoMoCo built them to last, for sure!

I'll definitely be running a ZEV, and the carb will be the M51 with some tricks. Unless i can be talked out of it--haha. When i bought those wheels, i was going to use a Stock JD front end, but i ended up getting a super deal on that Pup Springer. Don't think the front wheel will work on that Pup? Then it's plan B. Also, utilizing the weight of that transmission, instead of hacking the frame and going with that expensive light countershaft. That transmission is traction at the rear wheel, and a short coupled frame was for the ...BOARDS!!! The longer wheelbase/trans., works a helluva lot better on the...DIRT.
                The Motors. Funny, the guy had a difficult time trying to sell, because they were apart--hahahaha.
                00101_fZc8DiyAV4F_600x450.jpg00B0B_ez6XnrFOffD_600x450.jpg
                I'll keep You posted Eric.
                Take care and Merry Christmas.

*M.A.D.*
                Last edited by JoJo357; 12-24-2018, 11:20 AM.

Comment

Working...
                X