Frame Numbers on loop frames

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frame Numbers on loop frames

In the past there has been some discussion as to whether or not the loop frame Harleys had frame numbers stamped on them or not.
    Recently these two frames came to light and are good examples of frame numbers on 1917 - 1924 HD frames.
    I say 1917 because I personally have not seen any stamped 1916 or earlier frames. I'm not saying they weren't stamped, just that I've never personally seen any.
    One frame is stamped 20F 6453 and is quite easy to read while the other one is stamped 18F 4696 and is very hard to decipher due to rusting.
    These numbers appear on the soldered on tank rail, between the seat post and the seat mount and if the original tank rail is removed the numbers are lost.
    Attached Files
    Peter Thomson, a.k.a. Tommo
    A.M.C.A. # 2777
    Palmerston North, New Zealand.

My 23JD chassis has the soldered on plate with number also. Jerry

Comment

Tommo
      It's my experience that only 1917 through 1927 frames are stamped.
      The start year of 1917 coincides with the introduction of the new VIN numbering convention whereas the first two digits are the year. Previously, a letter at the end of the VIN served as a year/model code.
      The finish year of 1927 coincides with the last year that a year code/serial number was stamped into the transmission case.
      Mark
      Mark Masa
      www.linkcycles.com

Comment

Mark,
        Both my 1928 and 1929 J's have their numbers stamped on the top frame rail.
        I'd have to remove the tanks to photograph them and I have better things to do with my time.
        The loop frames came up recently and made photographing easy so examples could be put up here.
        It was mainly loop frames I was using examples of as the amount of people that reckon these frames had no I.D. numbers when they left the factory is huge.
        I do have a transmission case somewhere that's stamped 1928. I'll look for it when time permits
        Peter Thomson, a.k.a. Tommo
        A.M.C.A. # 2777
        Palmerston North, New Zealand.

Comment

Tommo
          Yours would be the first that I've seen. I've had at least 15 or 20 1928/1929 frames go through my hands (double butting top and bottom of seat post tube as well as on the rear stays by the clips) and NONE of them had a 28Fxxxx or 29Fxxxx stamped onto that top frame tube. Maybe it's an export thing but 2 or 3 of those frames came out of Yaldhurst....
          I'd be VERY interested to see the stamped number on the boss of that transmission case. Is it a very low serial number? 28-10xx?
          Mark
          Mark Masa
          www.linkcycles.com

Comment

G,day Tommo ,i have had several late 20s frames and yes they were stamped on the top tube near seat area ,Mark you maybe right at only export models stamped ,cannt send photos on here

Comment

My '27 has also numbers on the frame and transmission. They are not full numbers like the engine number nor do they match.
              Be sure to visit;
              http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
              Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
              Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Chris
                I would expect that on a 27. 1927 is the last year that it was don IMO. I personally have never seen a frame or transmission case factory stamped for 28 or 29.
                That's not to say that it's never been done but with the shear number of JD frames and gearboxes that have flowed through my hands over the years, I suspect that I would have seen at least one example.
                Mark
                Mark Masa
                www.linkcycles.com

Comment

Working...
                X