Brake rod flex

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brake rod flex

Hi In the last year or so I've started putting together a 29 JD, I have a brake rod that when the brake is applied "flexes" so much the brake seems to barely work? It appears to be a repro, is there a way to "harden" it? Will that work or just find a stiffer/original rod?
    Thanks

First off, the brake barley worked in the first place. Are you saying the flexing is occurring at the offset on the rod? The only thing we make our rods out of here is 4140 chrome moly which can easily be heat treated.
    AMCA #3149
    http://www.thegoodoldmotorcyclepartscompany.com

Comment

It's bad when it won't go but worse when it won't stop, so just running a rear brake for now I need all I can get, LOL! Yes, it is "stretching" at the bends.Thank you for the input!!!

Comment

I made the brake rods for my 25 JD out of 'drill rod' that I bought at Fastenal and bent and threaded myself and they work great. I wonder if the brakes are the problem and not the rods?

Comment

Good idea! Thanks, I don't have her running/riding yet but after installing the rod I was checking how it worked, adjusting, etc and the pedal felt "spongy" so I did a bit more looking. When I apply the brake I can see the rod flexing.

Comment

Working...
          X