Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1924 JDCA Flywheel Torque Specs

Hi,
    I'm getting ready to assembly and true the flywheels on a 1924 JDCA. The repair book I have doesn't include any specified torque for the crankpin and shafts. What are you experienced J builders using?

Most of them undo in the 110 to 150 foot pound range.
    Attached is pictures of the genuine HD service tool that was used at Jones Brothers, the NZ HD dealers, to do up the crankpin and main shaft nuts.
    When asked the service manager, Herb Longdon, said "tights tight".
    I asked how you determined tight when you are bashing a spanner with a hammer.
    His response was "experience"
    I have never been able to find any torque settings anywhere for this application but maybe someone out there has a "Shop Dope" that covers the question.
    I do them up at 125 foot pounds and move them on if needed to make the lock washer fit
    Attached Files
    Peter Thomson, a.k.a. Tommo
    A.M.C.A. # 2777
    Palmerston North, New Zealand.

Comment

I have an identical wrench, only difference it is just slightly less battered. But was hammered on just the same.

Comment

The one inch crank pin is the same as the VL. The Harley spec is 'very tight'. I think they need at least 100 pound feet and wouldn't go past 150 for fear of damaging the wheels. Between this range there is scope to adjust the end float of the rods between the wheels. I find the repro crank pins a tad longer than original, so they need tight crank pin nuts to get the rod end float down.

Comment

Working...
        X