1926 fd

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1926 fd

Anybody have much info on these? I rebuilt the motor and went through the trans but there is very little history or info on these things anywhere. Any help would be appreciated,thanksIMG_20171217_120417111.jpg

Read this thread..
    http://www.antiquemotorcycle.org/bbo...wins-1909-1929
    Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

The FD is basically the same as a JD. Where the JD has battery ignition the FD has a magneto.
      Last edited by Chris Haynes; 12-21-2017, 01:07 AM.
      Be sure to visit;
      http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
      Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
      Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Ok so did they not come with a headlight or tailight then?

Comment

Most Harleys by 1926 were full electric models, with lights, horn, and battery ignition. However, H-D offered the F model which had a magneto for ignition, but no lights. The F model was the least expensive big twin because of that, and was probably bought with a package truck, or sidecar for the trades, and delivery service. And it was also popular with cheapskates Just kidding. Electrical components had become very reliable by the mid 20s so the non-electric F model was not a big seller for Harley-Davidson. The picture Chris posted is of an F model with gas lights, a Presto-lite acetylene tank (although I don't see it on that bike), and a hand operated horn. If you add up the cost of those items and the cost of the F model twin, I'll bet you would have been close to the price of a full electric J model.
          Eric Smith
          AMCA #886

Comment

Well I am cheap so no offense taken,thank you for that information it is very helpful and what I needed

Comment

Eric
              The bike that Chris posted the pic of has a carbide acetylene generator mounted on the left side of the front frame down tube. Probably an Old Sol fron the look of it.
              Mark
              Mark Masa
              www.linkcycles.com

Comment

You're right, Mark, I can just see it. Do you agree that outfitting an F model with gas lights, could cost as much as paying for the electric model J?
                Eric Smith
                AMCA #886

Comment

It would get it close. I suspect that the mag models were popular with very rural riders without access to electricity. If you're in the sticks with a dead battery, you're screwed. No easy way to charge it. A magneto on the other hand.....
                  Mark
                  Mark Masa
                  www.linkcycles.com

Comment

Ok,the guy it came from said it was in the Iowa State Fair as a "clown car". It had a side car and the the spokes were off set so it would bounce around. Bet that was a fun ride

Comment

Working...
                    X