J/JD Generator?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• J/JD Generator?

I picked up this generator yesterday at a swap meet and wanted to ask if this a J/JD generator? The end cover casting #293-24 looks similar to Harley’ casting # scheme. The gen body has a casting number “83-30A” between the mounts and the brass tag states “Model 30F”. There are no rivet holes in the gen body for a brass Harley tag that I’ve seen on other J gens. I looked in my ’22-’27 spare parts manual (a Harley reprint 99404-93) and the reprint images are hard to discern. I searched vintage auto and tractor gens and didn’t see anything similar. Since I do not know a lot about J’s I thought I field it here for some help!
    Thanks,
    William
    Attached Files
    William Edwards, AMCA #10035

Attend the 2019 Southern National Meet at Denton Farmpark, NC, 17-18 May 2019
    http://www.amcasouthernnationalmeet.com/

Last photo...
    Attached Files

Comment

William,
      I think you'll find that it fits 1930 on 350cc and 500cc singles.
      Peter Thomson, a.k.a. Tommo
      A.M.C.A. # 2777
      Palmerston North, New Zealand.

Comment

Thank you for the lead Tommo. Time to pull out more manuals! Found the 30E (21ci/350cc) and 30C (30.50/500cc) in The Legend Begins. If anyone has a photo of this gen mount - would like to see one.
        Thanks,
        William

Comment

Dear William, it's one year only for 1930 Harley singles so rare/worthless depending on if you need it. It mounts to the left and rear of the single cylinder, on a casting which is integral with the left hand crankcase. I've got one mounted here on a 1930 C single and will see if I can take a useful picture.

Comment

Dear Steve, Thank you for the info. I like my little generator score!! Information on the singles sure is limited. I found a few You Tube clips of running machines (right, front views only - no left side views). I also found where Rat has a model C left case on ebay (item #231618805776) for sale. So I see the mount.

Comment

Since I posted and because I'm house bound at the moment I did some research.
              1502-30 appears in the 1930, 1931 and 1932 HD parts books as fitting all electric model singles.
              I don't have a 1933 parts book but it appears in 1934 and 1935.
              From the 1935 parts book:
              "1502-30 Generator cpt. $45.oo 1930 to 1934 singles"
              My take is that it is not a one year only fitment as I can not see the Motor Company developing a new generator with timer attached for what was at the time a very low volume model. Just using up what they had I would imagine.
              The parts books show no evidence of any supersessions during the period mentioned so it's 1930 to 1934 singles for me.
              Will it fit a J/JD ? Quite possibly if you change the timer drive worm on the armature from a single one to a twin one and fit a twin timer.
              Is this change possible ? I don't know as I've never seen one of these generators but you can do it with the earlier J/JD generators
              Is it right for a J/JD ? No but it sure would be a talking point.
              My response to the person who says "that's not right" would be "then you supply me with the correct one and I'll fit it".
              Any bike is miles better being out there ridden than sitting in the shed for years waiting for the correct parts.
              My 2 cents worth.
              Peter Thomson, a.k.a. Tommo
              A.M.C.A. # 2777
              Palmerston North, New Zealand.

Comment

Thanks Tommo. My '28-'32 manual notes the 1502-30 gen fitting '30-'32 singles and my '26-'35 manual shows the same gen fitting '30-'34 singles. I assume the singles, mostly export models if my memory serves me, were short lived as a result of the great depression. I like the way you think regarding a potential retrofit as that makes sense - similar units with slightly different components for different models. I found this gen on ebay (item # 152785503688). The rig I found does not have the brass MoCo tag or hallmark (above brass tag) cast in the case. I assume the singles were cheaper and received less bling!

Comment

You're right Tommo. The useful Shop Dope 121A of 14 Feb 1935 gives wiring diagrams for six Harley generators and shows sketch 305A as the 1930 and later single generator. It's the 1929 45 generator that is one year only.

Comment

Working...
                  X