24 J footboard rods

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 24 J footboard rods

Having a problem with brake pedal clearance and want to know the length of the foot board support rods, the rods I have measure 10 inch overall. Also can some post a picture of a 24 with heel brake setup please , the pedal , rod routing and springs etc Thanks

Hello Zig1, I have a 1920 bike, can check your parts list and see if the 1920 and 1924 bikes have the same part number (my parts list only goes to 1921). If they do then I can confirm the length of my 1920 rods.

Sorry I cant help with your other question, my brake set up is different.

John

Comment

Zig1
      What is the flat to flat dimension? The length EXCLUDING the threaded ends.
      Are the two rods different from each other? Not in that flat to flat dimension, but in the other features.
      Front and rear rods are different from each other and on pre-1925 JDs, they enter the frame loops from opposite sides.
      Mark
      Mark Masa
      www.linkcycles.com

Comment

Thanks for the replies. Flat to flat is 8 and 3/4 inches. Have posted photos. I have fitted the front stand clip on the rear support rod. Am building from a basket case!!!
        Thanks
        Attached Files

Comment

Are the two rods identical? It looks like that rod in the front is a rear rod with the larger diameter area by the mounting stop. The larger diameter area for the front stand catch.
          Mark
          Mark Masa
          www.linkcycles.com

Comment

Thanks Mark , The rods are both the same ,should the front be longer ? if so do you have a measurement ? Thanks

Comment

Your problem is due to the fact that you are using a rear footboard rod for the front as well.
              While the two rods, front and rear, are the same length, the other dimensional attributes are not.
              The rear rod is slid into the frame bracket from the left and the front is slid in from the right just as you have shown in your pictures.
              The problem becomes obvious when the two rods and frame brackets are brought closer together as shown below.
              The first two pictures show the setup you have now with two rear rods. Your side bars are wonky and pointing to the left.

The second two pictures show how things line up with a rear rod and a front rod.
              I guess that it would all line up if you simply use two rear rods BOTH inserted into the frame from the left.
              I can't imagine that the small stand catch boss would interfere with anything else but you never know until you put it all together.
              Mark Masa

Mark Masa
              www.linkcycles.com

Comment

more pics

In the event that you want to make a rod on a lathe, the pictures below should help with the spacing.
                Basically it just involves the relocation of the frame stop shoulder, slip fit diameter location and large thread location.

Mark Masa
                www.linkcycles.com

Comment

Thanks Mark , I see now that overall length measurement will not help . Many thanks for your help

Comment

The front rod is dimensionally identical to the two rears that you have except for the location of the section that fits through the frame. The OAL is the same, the threaded ends are the same, the flat to flat distance between where the side bars rest is the same. The front rod also does not have the slightly larger diameter where the stand catch sits nor the hole for the stand catch spring. With the rod that you have and the 3-13/16" dimension shown in my last two pictures, you have all of the dimensions needed to ID one or make one.
                    Mark
                    Mark Masa
                    www.linkcycles.com

Comment

Working...
                    X