24-29 Cylinders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 24-29 Cylinders

I'm sorting through my surplus parts and have these two cylinders which I believe are for 24-29 J Model H/Ds. Stud holes are at 3 1/4 inch centres (pre-24 is 3 I/8?). Don't think they were originally a pair as the rear cylinder has noticeably more nickel remaining than the front one. Also, though I don't have a micrometer to check the bores, the rear seems to have a bit more "meat" left than the front - perhaps the original bore. The front doesn't appear to have any broken fins; rear has two.

As I don't know much about post-23 models, and whether there were any subtle variations in cylinder castings between 24 and 29, I'm simply looking for confirmation that I have got the id right. (I've apparently got the camera to focus on the background rather than the cylinders but they should be clear enough for identification.)

I'll shortly post a photo in the "Other Harley" section of the forum of what I believe is a cylinder for a single.

I'd also be grateful if anyone can offer a view on my earlier post about inlet manifolds

MikeW

Harley 6 001.jpgHarley 6 002.jpgHarley 6 003.jpg

Mike
    I would date them as 1925-1926 cylinders.
    They are large base as you say, so that puts them 1924 and later.
    They both still have a 7/8" spark plug hole so they are pre-1927.
    Lastly, the top radial fins that face the center of the motor all slant downward. This is a 1925 and up feature to clear the new style top motor mounts.
    Are they for sale?
    I'd be interested in them.
    PM me if they are.
    Mark
    Mark Masa
    www.linkcycles.com

Comment

are these off a 1929 jd? I'm restoring a 1929jd and need a engine, transmission, carb, horn, luggage rack, Do you have any parts?

Comment

Originally posted by dakotadave View Post
        are these off a 1929 jd? I'm restoring a 1929jd and need a engine, transmission, carb, horn, luggage rack, Do you have any parts?
        Hi Dave.. The cylinders are 61 ci (J not JD) and in any case, according to Mark Masa (see previous posts), are 24/25 rather than 29. While I'd help if I could, I'm sorry to say that the few spare parts I have left, after swapping to build up enough parts for my 21F and 23F projects, are in the 18-23 range rather than the late 20s. But best of luck with the search and the restoration for the 29JD - the last of the F Heads I believe?

Regards, Mike

Comment

Working...
        X