Terne Plate Gas Tank Restoration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Terne Plate Gas Tank Restoration

I'm working on a 1928 H-D JD and the gas/oil tanks need restoration. They have pin-hole rust throughs. Has anybody done this work themselves and can advise me or is there a business out there that does such repair? I'd appreciate any information that you can give me. Thanks

It is a JD sorry for the confusion. Thanks for the quick responses.
    Last edited by sidecar; 04-09-2011, 07:01 PM.

Radiator shops often are able to do such work. But I have to ask about the '28 VL since VLs did not exist until '30. What is it that you have?
    Robbie
    Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Echo Rub... since the VL was a '30s animal. Either a JD or the year is wrong...

That said, there are some good companies doing gas tank sealing and repair. You may have to silver solder/fill the holes. Then have the tank lined. It's not really a home job unless you are really talented w. torch. But pinholes are definitely fixable...

Post some pictures of the machine! Welcome aboard.

Cheers,

Sirhr

Comment

If you can find a decent radiator shop these days they can fix them with silver solder but be careful and make sure they test them as the heat can open up other seams. These tanks are solder together as are are the fittings on them. Had this happen on some VL and Indian Cheif tanks. If you want to ride it and not worry about them leaking there are two options. One is Moyers tank repair service in Penn. They take them apart completely fix them reassemble them and then coat them with their propriatary coating. They guarantee that they will not leak ever. The other is buy a set of replica replacement tanks from Tom Fesser at Replicant Metals. They will fit perfectly and are judging correct and brand spanking new and no leaks. You can goggle both Moyers and Replicant Metals and Tom also sells on ebay as hamercreek. He does any JD and VL and the smaller A, B, C, D models of the 20's and 30's and some late teens stuff. All is spot on and no reworking required to get things to fit just bolt up and go.

Tom (Rollo) Hardy

AMCA # 12766

Comment

Thanks very much for the specifics. I'll look into those options. Ride Safe.

Comment

Working...
          X