1912 Harley twin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1912 Harley twin

Can anyone tell me please; what is the meaning of the letter B suffix following the four digits on a 1912 twin motor? Eg 1234B. Thanks
    Ian Biddle
    www.f-head.com

Originally posted by Ian Biddle View Post
    Can anyone tell me please; what is the meaning of the letter B suffix following the four digits on a 1912 twin motor? Eg 1234B. Thanks
    The "B" denotes the year of the motorcycle, i.e., 1912. 1911 had an "A" following the number. "C", 1913, etc.

Comment

Thanks for that, easy when you know. My next question is; How come my original paint 1913 9B has the suffix D? Made in December maybe?
      Ian Biddle
      www.f-head.com

Comment

I was getting worried so I googled it and from the America on the Move site: http://americanhistory.si.edu/onthem...bject_304.html

"Harley-Davidson model 9-B motorcycle, from the Smithsonian Collection; The museum's 1913 Harley-Davidson, bearing engine number 4336-D and known as the Model 9-B."

So thats another 1913 9B with a D suffix. I don't feel so bad now. Is the comment valid then that a B suffix means 1912, C is 1913 and D is 1914? I know its not an exact science.
        Ian Biddle
        www.f-head.com

Comment

single-chain drive-28"-magneto-4.34H.P.3-5/16 bore

Comment

data.jpgsingle chain is key

Comment

Excellent link, thank you Mr Duffey. So the B confirms 1912 but doesn't help with model designation and C is only one of several 1913 suffixes. And it confirms that the D suffix on a 9B is correct for '13.

Thanks I appreciate you taking the trouble. I'll try and find that Egan publication now.

Cheers, Ian
              Ian Biddle
              www.f-head.com

Comment

Working...
              X