No announcement yet.

1910 Harley Single Static Timing info?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1910 Harley Single Static Timing info?

Can anyone tell me the static timing info for an early HD single?

Looking for data for a Magneto single. Looking for degrees BTDC for firing.

If anyone has the Magneto Retarded Ignition and the Magneto Advanced Ignition numbers, that would be even better.

Thanks and cheers,

Sirhr

Sirhr, I went through some of my stuff and came up with these little bits. I know your questions won't be completely answered but it will give you something to chew on for a moment. I found a lot of info on timing two cylinders or more but the single stuff was less plentiful. I'm going to see if I can get a member who surely knows to weigh in on this.

This one assumes you have the tools from the manufacturer.

This is how experts do it....

Cory Othen
    Membership#10953

Comment

Hey Cory, thanks for posting that. In the next few weeks, I need to do some timing on the '11... perfect timing, pun intended.

Comment

Thank you Silentgreyfellow! Man, I wish I had that picture 2 weeks ago! Fantastic.

That's perfect for mag timing. And I have original Bosch mag wrench. It's a .020 feeler if I remember. From there, I can get it right on. The fact that they do it from TDC (and that there is a piston position measurement) is what I needed to know. Both these give me exactly what I need.

I should be putting the gears train in today and will need to do some ciphering to get the EO timing for the exhaust valve. But I marked the old gears before taking them out. The mag cam is much more aggressive than the points-type cam. Totally different profile. Though since it controls only the exhaust... I don't think it makes as much difference as it would if it controlled both valves.

Thanks and cheers! I'll post a pile of pictures tonite or tomorrow. And as always, any additional advice, input, pictures or suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Sirhr

Comment

Sirhr, I had wondered about valve timing when you posted this thread... here's a little more info from "The Motorcycle Construction, Operation, Care, and Repair" by C.P. Shattuck. The date on the book is 1912. The other scans were from Victor Page's "Early Motorcycles" book.

Cory Othen
          Membership#10953

Comment

Fantastic!

I have the cases fitted and the gears fitted. But nothing final fit.

It's all gone pretty well and I'll post a full list of instructions tomorrow after I get the cases polished and fitted.

Thanks to everyone for the assistance.

Cheers,

Sirhr

Comment

Working...
            X