No announcement yet.

Harley 1910 Magneto Drive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lookin' good Sirhr! I can't wait to hear it run.. Looks like after reading Rod's post that you can just send that belt of yours to Chicago and have them address it.....
    Cory Othen
    Membership#10953

Comment

That was an interesting post from Rod. Castor oil... I never would have thought to use that. But it's so simple. I bet that works on my old South Bend 9" leather belt drive lathe.

Very helpful and thanks, Rod, for going to all the trouble to re-key it!!!!

Now to head down to my local Harley-Davidson dealer and ask their parts department for come castor oil for the belt on my Harley. Or, better still, to ask their service dept. to put castor oil on it -- under warranty, of course.

Boowah ha ha ha ha hah ha.

Cheers and thanks, guys.

Sirhr

Comment

Rod: From the manual you have, does it mention anything about lubrication for the magneto gear train? It seems that the lube from the drip oiler does the main bearings fine. But what's lubricating the mag gear train? I would think there has to be some kind of bath. But there's no way to put it in?

Any info would be appreciated... And thanks again for the belt info.

Cheers, Sirhr.

Comment

Sirhr...It's funny that the 1912 manual says "the belt should be dressed with castor oil" , the 1913 manual says "the belt should be dressed with
          Harley Davidson belt dressing".......Which is no doubt still castor oil but at twice the price. Those Harley boys learned early on.

The manual says nothing at all about lubrication of the mag. gears. I thought this was accomplished from the crank case into the gear train housing. This is a guess on my part, not having had one of these engins apart....Rod

Comment

Originally posted by sirhrmechanic View Post
            Rod: From the manual you have, does it mention anything about lubrication for the magneto gear train? It seems that the lube from the drip oiler does the main bearings fine. But what's lubricating the mag gear train? I would think there has to be some kind of bath. But there's no way to put it in?
            Cheers, Sirhr.
            I'll take some pix of my '11 single mag drive when I take the cover off. Watching this with interest, as I have a timeless as well. I can't keep the #%#$ thing running, or sometimes at all. I have an orig carb that I was going to try on it to see if that made it better.

Comment

any updates on this thread?

Comment

Working...
              X