Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When Should Tires Be Replaced Even If They Do Not Show Wear?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When Should Tires Be Replaced Even If They Do Not Show Wear?

This question has to do with a 2001 Dyna FXD Super Glide which does not get used a lot, it has just over 4000 miles on it. I replaced the tires after the first 5 years and now I'm thinking about doing it again. I base my decision on what I've read about tires getting old and being unsafe. Also there is the possibility that when you buy a tire it may be old already because it was manufactured one or more years before even though it was never sold at that time. I don't run any special tires on this Dyna, just what the dealer recommends as a replacement for the stock tire.

Far from an expert at anything, but been riding a while now. if their not all cracked up real bad on the side walls and they got good tread I would run em with out a worry. I would ride em till the treads gone and not worry about the age thing. I know lots of guys riding antiques with mighty old tires on clinchers and having good luck. I would not worry about modern tires, ride em - my 2 cents worth, have fun.

Comment

I'm not a tire expert, but I would say check with someone who is. I agree, the old tires seemed like they would last forever, I've got a pair of ancient bias ply tires on an old trailer and they just keep on goin'. As a kid, I never worried about how old the tires I scounged were, just as long as there was some tread left. The new tires, on the other hand , don't seem to hold-up so well. I've had several (automobile) tires blow in the last few years, that had tons of tread left and no issues with sidewall cracks. They were on vehicles that weren't used much, and I figured they'd last forever(cheap Scotsman that I am) Anyway the tire shop looked at the date codes, and they said the tires were too old, at 8 or 9 years, and tires that old were beyond thier anticipated life span. Apparently, they just don't make 'em like they used to (they were American made).
      Doug.
      Doug McLaughlin #6607
      NorCal, USA

Comment

If you check the DOT #'s on the tire that will tell you the age of the tire, the code is first two #s of the code are the week it was made, and the last Two #s are the year so if your tire for example has 1101 next to the DOT # it was made in the eleventh week of 2001, the manufacturers recomend replacing rubber after 5-6 years as it breaks down from old age
        Tim

Comment

A few years ago, I replaced the front tire on my '48 Chief even though it had plenty of tread. It was on the bike when I bought it in 1968 and had been damaged in a fire in 1970, which threw the balance off. I just put on a bunch of weights, and kept riding. The rear tire I replace in the late '60s and is still doing fine. I ride the bike at highway speeds (60+ mph) and have good luck with the rear tire. OK, so maybe "luck" is the operative word. I just wanted to point out that you can ride on a Goodyear tire for 40+ years and get by with it.

Is it possible that the engine breather oil that coats the chain and rear wheel somehow preserves the rubber in the tire?
          George Tinkham
          Springfield, IL
          www.virmc.com
          AMCA # 1494
          1941 Indian 841
          1948 Indian Chief
          1956 H-D KHK
          1960 CH
          1964 BMW R69S
          1966 Honda Touring Benly (aka "150 Dream")
          1984 Moto Guzzi V65Sp

Comment

On my modern bikes I always make sure I have the best possible tires. I ride them hard and on the edge. My life depends on it. On my vintage stuff I use period style tires and ride them accordingly. My '44 UL has 30 year old tires on it. It also has a sidecar which helps when they slide which they do regularly.
            If your Dyna only has that many miles on it you probably aren't riding it too hard, so look for sidewall cracking, keep the pressure right, and wear them out. As tires age the surface hardens from oxidation and can be slick rather than sticky.
            Robbie
            Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

My tire experience but with a van: 1987 I brought home a 1974 Ford van from S. CA. Tires had excelleant tread and were probably 6 years old. Made it over 3000 miles home and a few more running around here. Bought 4 new radial tires to improve the handling which it did. I gave the old tires to a friend that needed them as the tread was not even half worn. within 2000 miles they all had the tread come off or blew out. yes, he is still a friend.
              My feelings are they were in the heat of S. CA and the heat and sun deteriated them.
              I have also run tires on my bike that were over 30 years old but were not subject to any sun light for most of those years.

Ed
              Ed Glasgow
              # 2053
              http://www.edsindianbolts.com/

Comment

My thought process on tires is when I only have two under me I want the best ones that I can afford. Monitor the date code for age, side walls for cracks (rubber dries out) depth of tread and where has it been stored (outside, in the shop or garage, or in a climate controlled area). Check air pressure. I have always changed tire out before they are worn out, cheep insurance. Its easier for me to change a set of tires than to deal with the aftermath of a failed tire.

Comment

You guys got me thinking. I just restored a 65XLCH. I originally started the bike in 93/94 and mounted two new Dunlap’s. I was going to use them but after reading this. New tires would be cheap insurance. Bob L
                  AMCA #3149
                  http://www.thegoodoldmotorcyclepartscompany.com

Comment

Most tire experts are from tire companys, like oil experts are from oil companys. They are naturally going to tell you theirs are the best, and buy new all the time. I've been riding for 36 years, and never had the tire fail. Had a few tube blow-outs, but not the tire.

Do what you can live with.

Comment

I have been riding since 1968 and never had a blowout until last summer. The photo shows what was left of a tire that had 3500 miles on it in the morning when we left for home and was fine. At 12:45pm it let go at 75mph on the interstate right beside an 18 wheeler in a 45mph cross wind outside Tucumcari, NM. Talk about pucker factor! I was able to get to the side of the interstate without incident but it ruined my trip home. I talked to Metzler and they said "sorry", you had a flat tire and offered me nothing. Needless to say no more Metzlers for me.
                      Bob Selph
                      1933VC/1934LT Sidecar
                      1940 Sport Scout
                      AMCA#15215

Comment

I've been running the stock Dunlops on my 02 Vrod. The bike has 85,000 miles on it and I am on my 9th rear and 6th front tire.

I rotate the front, take it off rim and all, and flip it over to run the tread pattern in reverse so the wear is even. The V Rod is notorious for wearing on one side more than the other. So to get all the miles the tire was designed to give, flipping it over aids in getting the miles out of it.

I've had nails and screws in the tires, patched, plugged them and as well have used flat fix along with plugs and have worn the rear down to the threads as many times as there have been rear tires on the bike.

With these I run the air pressure at the highest PSI the tire illustrates on the side wall, 42 PSI in the rear and 36 - 38 in the front.

No problems with the tires in any way. Rear I get 10,000 to 10,500 miles front runs to about 15-16,000 miles.

I was buying used Dunlops where everyone else was switching out their stock Dunlops to other brands for wider tire or because people "thought" they did not like what they saw with the wear.....I am now lamenting that I can't find more used tires, those with about 1,000 miles on them as I was paying 50 bucks a tire. With the newer models of the VR larger tires are the stock feature so no more 180's on the rear.

I think if you run the upper pressure, watch the wear and adjust accordingly but are not able to ride year round one can expect longer time interval. Even when this gets up there in the years, the tires tend to "harden" so when this occurs pressure adjustment to accomodate this should be done to insure the rides aid in keeping some flexibility when the tires are heated up.

Experimenting with pressure can help extend the life of the tire, but one thing is for certain when a tire blows out, you won't know when it will happen unless you see there is a defect so it is best when traveling or around home to inspect whagt you expect the tire to deliver to you, safety and distance.

On my 39 with the Cokers, I am running these at the upper PSI of 26 rear and 18 front, as I do a lot of miles double up. Not certain how long these will last so it will be an interesting comparison....BTW, I donlt expect to get 10,000 miles out of these tires as the tire has a definite smaller patch on the road, specifically the rear in comparison to the VR 180.
                        Last edited by ricmoran; 08-19-2011, 03:38 AM.

Comment

Working...
                        X