Need Help Identifying Whats What On This Old Harley

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Help Identifying Whats What On This Old Harley

I need some help here. I purchased this old Harley and am trying to figure out what parts and years there are here.

Engine is stamped 1926 and J and look real. But Harley did not offer a front brake until 1928 and this bike has a front brake. Also wrong air cleaner for a 1926.

It does have a front fender stand and a British style pedestrian slicer license plate on the front fender, so I am guessing it is an export model.
    Also weird wiring with the ignition sparkplug wires coming out of the battery box. Wondering if there is a coil and small battery hidden in there. Also wrong horn (should be electric and mounted under the headlight). Wrong tail light, crappy wiring and who knows what else I will find when I get a chance to dig into it?

And I recognize the paint is not original with those crazy pin stripes and later art deco design on the gas tanks. And rubber gas lines?
    All leads and identifications appreciated.
    More photos and info on the Classic American Iron Magazine web site at http://www.caimag.com
    Buzz Kanter
    Classic-Harley.Info Classic Harley History
    [Classic American Iron Forum Classic Harley Forum
    [American Iron Magazine Harley Magazine

Dear Buzz, there's a lot of good stuff there and this bike is far from the random collection of parts usually tacked together into a project. The decals are 1934/5, air intake 1928/9 and front brake the same as you say. Aren't those drop centre or British rims when they should be for clincher tyres? Vinyl wiring looks 1970s, and that may be the last time the bike had much done to it. You're lucky to find the dash panel and the Corbin. A lot of the alterations can be considered patina on a bike this old, and one option must be to do the minimum to get it running rather than tear it down to make into another showroom JD. This could be your 2011 Cannonball Run bike essentially as it is now!

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Slocombe View Post
      Dear Buzz, there's a lot of good stuff there and this bike is far from the random collection of parts usually tacked together into a project. The decals are 1934/5, air intake 1928/9 and front brake the same as you say. Aren't those drop centre or British rims when they should be for clincher tyres? Vinyl wiring looks 1970s, and that may be the last time the bike had much done to it. You're lucky to find the dash panel and the Corbin. A lot of the alterations can be considered patina on a bike this old, and one option must be to do the minimum to get it running rather than tear it down to make into another showroom JD. This could be your 2011 Cannonball Run bike essentially as it is now!
      Thanks Steve for your time, opinion and excellent, educated eye. Yes, it strikes me as an interesting and sort of cool old Harley. I liked it enought to buy it, and I am more into riding than rebuilding for judging. My first goal is to get it running, pretty much as is, and then sort it out and do the obvious upgrades - like correct fuel lines and a decent saddle. After that - who knows?
      Buzz Kanter

Comment

Buzz- I'll give you 3500 for it if you take a Post Dated Check for half now and the other half after New Years?.......... Happy Holidays, John P.

Comment

Just don't change those factory-correct hose clamps!...Bones

Comment

Originally posted by 46EL View Post
            Buzz- I'll give you 3500 for it if you take a Post Dated Check for half now and the other half after New Years?.......... Happy Holidays, John P.
            Joke right?

Where's the $10,000,000 from a Nigerian widow of a famous banker who recently died?
            Buzz Kanter

Comment

I offered the 3500 so I could sell it to the widow you mentioned. She already has wired $2,900,000. to my account and Monday I have to send her the difference via Fedex Ground in $100 bills. Let me know asap as deals like this don't happen every day! Jp

Comment

Working...
              X