Oil Consumption On 1915 Harley Break In

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil Consumption On 1915 Harley Break In

OK, so we (Dave Fusiak and I) have my 1915 Harley twin rebuilt and now we need to check the oil flow before setting off cross country on the Motorcycle Cannonball run in 6 weeks.

As I understand it, the oil is dripped and not pumped into the cases, but the flow is probably set for a 40 or 45 mph speed (they didn't have many high speed roads in those days).

I am told these cases of a 1915 Harley should hold about 3 ounces of oil. More causes over oiling and carbon build up, less cases too much wear possible mechanical failure.

So, unless I hear otherwise, I am planning on the following to test my system:

Drain the sump and add 3 strokes of the oil plunger for 3 ounces in the cases. Ride the bike about 20 miles. Then drain and measure the oil levels in the sump. If about 3 ounces, repeat the proceedure but ride about 50 miles. Drain and measure. If still about 3 ounces, go for 100 miles and repeat. That means I'll have to carry a wrench (1/2 inch I believe) a measuring catch can and a tank of oil.

If too much or too little oil in the sump adjust the drip rate.

Any recommendations on how to improve this plan?

On advice from more experienced 1915 riders, I am planning on draining the old oil every night and adding fresh to the sump. Also I plan on oiling the rockers every gas stop.
    Buzz Kanter
    Classic-Harley.Info Classic Harley History
    [Classic American Iron Forum Classic Harley Forum
    [American Iron Magazine Harley Magazine

Oil/Lubrication

The following is a excerpt from a 1912 Harley-Davidson brochure titled "Instruction for the Operation and Care of Harley-Davidson Motorcycles".

Lubrication

"A new machine should be given a liberal amount of oil for the first 100 miles or so, enough to cause a trace of blue smoke from the exhaust. After the first 100 miles, when the parts have become well worked in, set the needle valve so that 10 to 12 drops per minute will be fed. The drops can very plainly be seen through the sight feed oil glass, this will be sufficient for ordinary running up to 20 miles per hour. For continued high speed open the needle valve about one-half of a turn or a trifle more, using your own judgment.

No set rule can be made for lubricating a motorcycle engine, but the above may be taken as a basis upon which to become acquainted with your machine. "

The suggestions noted above should stand as good guide in addition to the process that you have devised.

Good Luck!
    Last edited by talbot-2; 07-24-2010, 06:47 PM.

Comment

How much is a "trifle"? Probably a little less than a "smidge".
      47 WL
      51 Ls Sidecar
      03 FLHT
      http://www.gouldingsidecars.com

Comment

Too Much Oil

Buzz,

The rider's handbook for the Js says too much oil will slow engine rpm and cause engine overheating. That's a bad thing with these "waffle iron" cast iron top ends. Yours has a modern aluminum piston so it may be a little more forgiving.

I would think if you drain the case at the end of each day, and put a few pumps with hand pump each morning, you should be fine. If you find the internal oil pump drips too much oil, there is a proceedure in the handbook for stacking small washers on the threaded rod on the bottom of the internal oil pump. I think that controls the amount of oil delivery to the bottom end. I'd find a few small washers to fit it, just in case you need them.
        David Morrill
        Sylacauga, AL. USA.
        AMCA #15284

Deadly Dave's Blog
        Sharing the Lost Stories of Early American Motorcycling.

http://dlmracing.blogspot.com/

1921 Harley-Davidson Model J Racer

It will break a hundred, if you drop it from a plane!

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Big View Post
          How much is a "trifle"? Probably a little less than a "smidge".
          A "trifle" would be someplace between one-half a turn and a full turn. Obviously, a "trifle" would be less than a full turn since they didn't say a "full turn". A "smidge" would be way to far....causing lots of blue smoke. Much more than a "trace".

It has worked for me on my 1912 H-D for 42 years.
          Last edited by talbot-2; 07-24-2010, 06:58 PM.

Comment

During some test runs yesterday we removed a few washers and got it pretty close. After each run we would drain the oil and measure it. We are shooting for something around 3 ounces in the sump after a long ride (15 or 20 miles initially). Does that sound about right?
            Buzz Kanter
            Classic-Harley.Info Classic Harley History
            [Classic American Iron Forum Classic Harley Forum
            [American Iron Magazine Harley Magazine

Comment

Buzz,

Sounds like you're on the right track. On the 500 mile trip I did on my '15 twin, it started smoking on the third day. I'm thinking the worst but Bruce Linsday correctly analyzed as too much oil. It had lots of oil in the crankcase. Took quite a while to drain it all out. Started over with the three pumps and removed one washer from the plunger length adjuster. It's been fine ever since. I just went out and measured the length of the screw. It's 1.006" from the shoulder of the screw to the tip. There are no washers at all on the adjuster. The washer that I removed was 0.054". I'm sure there are other parts in there that can wear so I'd only use this as a guideline. I was only running at 30 mph on that trip due to the top speed of Bruce's '05 Harley. I've ridden it a good bit since then at higher speeds, but always short trips so I don't know for sure that adjustment will hold true at your speeds. I think you're on the right track. I'd have several different thickness washers with you on the trip so you can do a road side adjustment on that if required. Also, my bike still has the iron pistons.
              Calvin

Comment

Working...
              X