No announcement yet.

J model frame numbers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

bob if that's all you got you'll have to pay me $80.00 to take it away. if you bring it to jefferson i only charge $40.00. if you bring 2 motors it's free. so the more you bring the more you save!
    rob ronky #10507
    www.diamondhorsevalley.com

Comment

Rob, don't you have heavy packages to deliver and DOT people to entertain? On another note. I got my little can of kroil yesterday and I was going to start soaking this puppy. This motor needs a bath before I go any further with it. This Kroil stuff isn't cheap, so I bent up a drain pan for the motor stand to sit in. Figure I can collect the runoff and keep recycling it. Bob
      AMCA #3149
      http://www.thegoodoldmotorcyclepartscompany.com

Comment

This may be of interest, It's a list I put together of what generator fits which year J/JD Harley up till 1928.
        The generator ID is on the brass plate that is rivited to the generator carcass.
        If your engine number is prior to 9835 the generator should have the internal centrifical switch at the brush end.
        Attached Files
        Peter Thomson, a.k.a. Tommo
        A.M.C.A. # 2777
        Palmerston North, New Zealand.

Comment

Bob
          Most everything on the motor is correct and the few things that are not are either an easy fix or not important unless you are shooting for a 100 pt bike.
          Cylinders are correct and look to be in great shape.
          Gear case cover / oil pump is correct.
          I can't tell what the generator is from the pics. Is there a tag?
          Your intake rocker arms are 1924-mid 1928 style. Intake springs may be later too but I can't tell from pics.
          One intake pushrod is incorrect.
          What DLX carb is on there?
          Mark
          Mark Masa
          www.linkcycles.com

Comment

Guys, this is starting to get fun. The engine was totally incrusted in oil and grim, so what I did yesterday was to plug off any open ports and sat the whole contraption in the parts washer. I went at it with tooth brushes and other soft bristle tools for an hour. There is a brass tag on the generator but it faces the cases. Until I figure out how to remove it, I won't know. The carb says DLX7. Mark the one intake push rod was spotted as wrong in the first 5 seconds I laid eyes on it. When you refer to the intake rocker as later. Is it just the rocker arm or the whole assembly? My next question has to do with finish. It appears that the cases were painted black. Was this factory? Also the barrels seem to have a slight silver in between the fins. Is this silver paint or were they a nickel wash. With the grim off I found the belly numbers and they match. D2-240 and the case casting number is S2-21. I just went back out to the shop floor and with a magnifying glass was able to read the plate on the generator. Model A NO. 15074 Patented Dec 16, 1919. I also found out that the generator end cover twists off. Here are some more pics after the cleansing. Thanks guys, Bob L
            Attached Files
            AMCA #3149
            http://www.thegoodoldmotorcyclepartscompany.com

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Luland View Post
              I got my little can of kroil yesterday and I was going to start soaking this puppy.
              I buy my AeroKroil by the case.
              Be sure to visit;
              http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
              Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
              Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Are you sure it's black?
                1922 standard colour was Brewster Green and Olive Drab was the option colour.
                Crankcases and Gearbox case would have originally been painted Brewster Green and as this is a fairly dark shade of green it may degrade to appear black.
                Cylinder barrels would have been nickle plated
                Peter Thomson, a.k.a. Tommo
                A.M.C.A. # 2777
                Palmerston North, New Zealand.

Comment

I agree with Tommo. The cases are painted Brewster green which is a VERY dark shade of green and does seem to get even darker with age.
                  On the rockers, I can't tell from the pics. If you have tapered intake valve springs (1923 introduction), then it would be the tower and the rockers as the towers were machined differently on the inside to clear the springs. This also makes the hole at the top larger albeit only by a little.
                  The cylinders were originally nickel plated.
                  Mark Masa
                  Mark Masa
                  www.linkcycles.com

Comment

Working...
                  X