My 1924 JDCA at AMA Parade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My 1924 JDCA at AMA Parade

The good people at the AMA Hall of Fame have invited me to ride my 1924 Harley JDCA in a special parade to and around the Mid-Ohio race track near Lexington, Ohio the weekend of July 24-26. And they asked me to help spread the word to other enthusiasts who are interesting in bringing and riding your old bikes with us.

Here's the deal. The AMA is celebrating its 85th Anniversary this year and the AMA’s Motorcycle Hall of Fame Museum has planned for a special ride - at least one from every year the Association has been in existence - for a special parade at the 2009 AMA Vintage Motorcycle Days.

The folks at the AMA made a "dream list" of bikes they would like but they are open to others not on the list, so please feel free to offer whatever you have that you feel could be a good addition. I am planning on attending the event and riding in the parade with my original 1924 Harley JDCA - which means I need to get it running right after letting it sit for too many years.

A parade of the machines is planned for Saturday, July 25, around lunch time. Machines will need to line up at a location about 5 miles from the track and ride to the event at Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course. That means all the machines must be in good running condition, safe and roadworthy.

Each motorcycle will be photographed for a special feature on the AMA and Motorcycle Hall of Fame Museum websites. One photo will include the owner(s). A copy of these photos will be provided to each owner but AMA will retain non-exclusive rights to use each photo. You can submit more than one bike but must supply a rider for each motorcycle they accept for the event. AMA staff reserves the right to select from among entered machines for the machine most appropriate, best condition, etc.

For more info click Here - and send them the info they ask for, and tell them Buzz Kanter sent ya!
    Buzz Kanter
    Classic-Harley.Info Classic Harley History
    [Classic American Iron Forum Classic Harley Forum
    [American Iron Magazine Harley Magazine

OK gang, here are some photos I took this afternoon of my 1924 Harley JD that I am planning on riding this summer at the AMA 85th Anniversary Parade in Ohio. This bike has been sitting on display at a local Harley dealer for about 2 years then in a storage area for another year. And as best I remember, the last time I started this bike was at least 5 or 6 years ago.

It's a bike I am lucky to own but simply do not ride. And no, I am not interested in selling it.

I know this kicker pedal is not correct for a JD. Someone told me it is from a WWII Knucklehead. Does this make sense?

Here's a rear view of the bike, which is very complete and almost 100% correct (as far as I can tell). I am in the market for a correct air horn (bomb sight?) and kicker pedal that match the look and age of the bike.
    Last edited by Buzz Kanter; 03-26-2009, 10:02 AM.
    Buzz Kanter

Comment

Definitely a war years pedal. Want to trade? Your bike should have the -16 pedal. Really cool old JD. I have a 25 JDCB engine sitting on display in my shop, the oldest H-D I have a single part of. Can't help on the air horn though.
      Robbie
      Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Undoubtedly you have guys drooling over that 1946 Kicker and the Knuck carburetor cover.
        Be sure to visit;
        http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
        Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
        Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Haynes View Post
          Undoubtedly you have guys drooling over that 1946 Kicker and the Knuck carburetor cover.
          The pedal is real but the air horn is a repop I bolted on to cover the naked carb. What's the pedal worth IF I decide to let it go?
          Buzz Kanter

Comment

As the old saying goes "All the market will bear". It should go to someone who truly needs it though and not to someone for resale or just to look at. A nice original paint machine from late '45-'46 would be perfect and there must be one out there with the wrong pedal.
            Robbie
            Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Great looking bike you have there Buzz..........you lucky dog you...
              Chuck
              AMCA Member#1848

Comment

Buzz,
                If you contact me at, p.j.thomson@actrix.co.nz, I can help you with an original pedal that will look the part and if the carb is a deluxe, the air horn and air cleaner.
                Something about the headlight doesn't look quite right and I can help in this area also if that is what you desire. It should have a flat glass and I have NOS ones of those.
                Let me know what you want.
                Tommo
                Peter Thomson, a.k.a. Tommo
                A.M.C.A. # 2777
                Palmerston North, New Zealand.

Comment

Originally posted by Tommo View Post
                  Buzz,
                  If you contact me at, p.j.thomson@actrix.co.nz, I can help you with an original pedal that will look the part and if the carb is a deluxe, the air horn and air cleaner.
                  Something about the headlight doesn't look quite right and I can help in this area also if that is what you desire. It should have a flat glass and I have NOS ones of those.
                  Let me know what you want.
                  Tommo
                  Thanks a million, email sent.
                  Buzz Kanter

Comment

Had some time today and got the 1924 JDCA running. Surprisingly easy involving charging up the battery, fresh gas and one shot of starter fluid and a few kicks. She caught, sputtered a bit and ran a bit rough for a few seconds. Then she ran for a few minutes warming up.

Within ten minutes of so she was idling down nicely with retarded ignition and no throttle. Smoked like crazy, but ran solid. I took it up and down the driveway a few times and the smoke lessened. What a great bike.

I have a couple of questions - one is what's the best way to bend the handlebars up and out a few inches, and the other is what does the letter B mean as the last digit in the VIN? Looks original and correct.
                    Buzz Kanter

Comment

Working...
                    X