Sportster Period Drag Bike Modification Help Needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sportster Period Drag Bike Modification Help Needed

Problem: Modify my '74' Drag Bikes Closed Oil Bath Primary w/Wet Clutch to a Open Primary w/Dry Clutch. STEPS TAKEN SO FAR: #1. Tapped and plugged common lower oil passage hole between transmission cavity and primary cavity. #2. Tapped and plugged upper venting hole between transmission cavity and primary cavity. Sealed Trans Trap Door with silicone (this was done initially to test for oil leaks and will be done again once I perform step (7). #3. Vented Trans cavity thru a Transmission vent fitting on top of transmission. #4. Modify Closed Primary cover to Open Style for easy access to Clutch/Chain/ Roller adjustments. #5. Replace Stock Chain Adjusting Pad Mechanism to a Roller Type Chain Adjuster.... TO BE DONE: #6. Replace the current stock primary side transmission bearing (Shielded Style) with a 'Sealed' Bearing. #7. Replace the clutch gear oil seal/o-ring seal upon reassembly of the transmission. The main reason for doing this modification is to keep oil from seeping out of the transmission and working its way onto the Clutch Basket where centrifical force will fling it around onto all exposed parts as well as the Drag Strips track surface (WHICH IS A BIG NO-NO TYPE RULE). Because I have to keep the kicker operational (as current drag rules do not allow push starts), I will keep the kick starter rachet gear and bushing well greased and use a Rear chain type oil on the primary chain. OK, that's the problems I'm facing. So, can any of you 'Motorheads' out there tell me if I'm proceeding correctly?? Am I correct in using a 'Sealed' type bearing and will it work well and not seize up?? Also, there is a small Vent type check valve in the Crankcase just behind the front Gear pulley. Will this valve puke out any oil once the bike is hauling down the track?? Can you forsee any other oil leakage or lubrication problems?? Any advice or experiences you might have would be welcomed!.....Thanks...Hrdly-Dangrs

Sportster Drag Racing Tricks

The vent you are talking about, will puke oil out. It is a sump overflow. Write me @; wfo@dallastx.net, yes I have experience piloting early Sportsters.
    Marty

Comment

Marty, thanks for the response. I'll be getting back to you on a couple things in regard to running this Sportster on the track. Right now I'm busy with my other bike projects. Thanks... ..Hrdly-Dangrs

Comment

Working...
      X