Sidecar LE conversion year 57-58

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sidecar LE conversion year 57-58

I have a question about H-D LE Frames, Did H-D convert unsold leftover frames from 1957 to the Juice brake of 1958 by cutting the M/C side brake frame end off and using the other end for a bracket to hold the backing plate in place? I was told H-D made a few conversions like this that year to keep up with a demand of sales by using some of last years frames. Anyone else ever hear of this? They were the same except for braking which makes me believe this. This is an area of select expertise. Keep riding them, Merlin in Pa.

My friend has a juice brake LE frame that has no tab for the brake line and the rear mount is held in place with set screws. we've never seen one like this, or we just never noticed the set screws. As he has been trapped with a hack for 20 years or more and has quite a few I don't see how we didn't notice the screws before now. It also has some of the ugliest furnace brazing we've ever seen. Don't know thye year of it offhand. Next we speak I'll ask for you. Bye the way, where you from in PA? I'm in the Harrisburg area.
    Brian
    Brian Howard AMCA#5866

Comment

Neighbor

Hey Brian, I'm S/E of Reading near Oley. I also didn't mention that I have one of these frames, a 57LE converted and looks no different until close examination on the brake backing plate side. Merlin, Keep riding them

Comment

would it be possible to see a picture? Also are you into sidecars or is this somethging for a particular project? Odd Factory stuff like the frame you describe facinates me.
        Brian
        Brian Howard AMCA#5866

Comment

Originally posted by Magic View Post
          Hey Brian, I'm S/E of Reading near Oley. I also didn't mention that I have one of these frames, a 57LE converted and looks no different until close examination on the brake backing plate side. Merlin, Keep riding them
          Fine, But who converted it? The MoCo or a past owner?
          Be sure to visit;
          http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
          Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
          Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

That's what I'm asking

Hey Chris that is what I don't know and was only told that it was done at the factory from the person that had the frame and btw is a well known sidecar enthusiast connected to our club. That's why I'm asking if anyone else would know factual info of this by H-D. The work is professional at least and can't be noticed unless looked for. My guess is it is as I was told and from what I know has been done at Harley assembly plants in the past and have proof of using prior or next years parts to finish assembly. I'm into original unrestored M/C's that have little or low miles or past owners and this is where evidence has come to light on H-D assembly practices. I don't restore or use V-Twin or similair parts on anything I have , not like it's a bad thing or anything just not my way. Merlin

Comment

This one's being used already

And Brian this has been connected to a 58FLH for a few years now and gets used a few times a year for events or a Sunday drive. After putting on an adjustable triple tree set and aquiring a few items it was a fun project. It was at Oley this year for their 3 wheeled theme on Saturday display only. It is a Junior first original that runs excellent. I'm just bored and backtracking some investigative past work. Yes I trust in most cases what people tell me especially if it's their business, however it sometimes helps to get confirmation on it too from people in a different area or knowlege of. Just the way I am. Keep riding them, Merlin in Pa.

Comment

I doubt that the sidecars are built enough in advance that a one would have a 1957 number on it and sold new in 1958. Sidecars take up a lot of room. I am sure they would fall under the materials as needed category.
                Would the MoCo modify a part to make it fit a newer model? Certainly.
                Be sure to visit;
                http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
                Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
                Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Working...
                X