Mystery Fuel Tank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mystery Fuel Tank

Its a mystery to me but I'm sure that somebody knows exactly what I have. I recently acquired what I thought was an early VL tank without asking enough questions or looking closely at the fuzzy photos.

The tank appears older than a VL (JD?), it is longer than the VL tank I have, there are more top mount holes and they do not line up with the frame mounts. The top mounting strip measures 21 5/8" compared to the VL at 20 3/8", distance from the front of the tank curve to the back is 25", the VL tank is 22". It may have come from a 45, don't know.

The shorter red tank in the pictures is from my 31VL, what is the longer one?

thanks,

Mike
    Attached Files

Mystery Fuel Tank

Mike
    You are correct, it is a J Model 25-29 Left tank. Look like a fairly nice one at that.

Glide

Comment

Ah, Mike now you know what you've got are you going to build a bike around it?
      Cory Othen
      Membership#10953

Comment

Cory,

Do you think that half a fuel tank is enough of a start for a pocket-valve? I've probably started other projects with less, but it would really be stretching to envision a complete JD based on that tank.

Besides that, I'm already in over my head on the VL dream, right now its more of a nightmare!

don't encourage me!

mike

Comment

Sorry Mike, I couldn't resist. I feel your pain. But you know if it was all easy everybody would be doin' it! It'll all be worth it when that VL fires up!
          Cory Othen
          Membership#10953

Comment

They're called Gumption Traps; from 'Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance." ...last 10 pages. ...bill
            Bill Gilbert in Oregon

Comment

Working...
            X