Help me out Tommo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help me out Tommo

As some of you know I received a 29 JD rolling chassis for Christmas. That was until I read Tommos' post on JD frame identification. The frame is really rusty and even after using 320 grit I cannot find anything that even resembles alpha-numeric. I does have the reinforcing sleeves and also has the ground (earth) screw on the fender mount boss that Tommo spoke of. It's the ammeter that's throwing me off. Tommo, what do I have. I am including photos. Thanks.
    Dan

Here's one.
    Attached Files

Comment

The frame may or may not have a number. If it did, it could be on the top of the top frame bar, just forward of the seat post. My 1923 frame has no number, just a couple of holes.
      Here is a picture of frame numbers.
      http://us.a2.yahoofs.com/groups/g_17...4LDnHBiePYtmxX

...bill

Comment

Here is where I have been looking.
        Attached Files

Comment

Bill, you would think as deep as the stamps are in the image link you sent that I would at least see something. The rust is bad, but most of the brazing is still there.

Comment

You've got the spot right ...according to what I've been told. I new to all this. ...bill

Comment

A friend of mine suggests, " From the state of the frame I suggest the number is long gone. If you still want to try, to start with don't use an abrasive paper as even a fine grade removes parent metal. Use a wire brush, with really stiff wires, the type a welder would use, and then put some phosphoric acid, marine jelly, on the area. After this hardens, turns black, wash the area in water and try the brush again being more gentle this time. Some of the black may remain in the stampings so it might be read. Try and look at it under different lighting conditions, even use a torch.

There are other clues. The sleeves and the earthing hole indicate 28. We can't see it very well in the photos, but what sort of triple clamp is in place. If it is the type that has the pods for the twin headlights, then it is 29. It is unlikely whatever else is changed that this would be. It seems that it is a 28 with a later dash fitted, maybe because they wanted an ammeter.

Happy hunting." ...bill

Comment

Working...
              X