Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Harley horn face real or reproduction

Hello Harley experts,
    Going thru my father’s stash and I found this Harley horn face…

BB159810-33C3-4667-AC66-16FA6FE78015.jpegB98ADC22-B0E6-45F5-8DC3-EDF79746E2AA.jpeg119B1041-E0F5-459F-A86C-8C07F168C373.jpeg

The question is it real or reproduction? Is there any way to tell?
    He was an Indian guy but he had a couple Knuckleheads, but they had horns on them. And he wasn’t one to buy repop stuff so I wonder.
    Hoping one of you experts can clue me in.
    Thanks, Joe

Try a magnet on it to see if it's brass or steel. As far as I know they were never reproduced in brass. Looks pretty good in the pictures; I would say it's likely the real deal.
    Dave

Comment

Thanks, I’ll give that a try.

Comment

Well, the magnet sticks so not brass…..

we’re the originals all brass?

Comment

Originally posted by FLFD7 View Post
          Well, the magnet sticks so not brass…..

we’re the originals all brass?
          Original chrome were over brass. Painted ones were mostly steel. The chrome doesn't look right to me, too uniform and glossy especially on the back.
          Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

I just pulled a genuine NOS Tedd repop out of my front display, Joe,..

Real or not, yours is delightfully crisp on its features!

....Cotten
            AMCA #776
            Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Cotten,
              I noticed that too I saw some pictures of repops on line and they didn’t seem to have the details this one does, especially things like the wing tips that are really sharp on this one, look more rounded on the repops.
              Could be a steel painted one that’s been stripped and chromed? That could explain why the chrome looks too good?
              I’ll just leave it as a mystery….

Comment

Can I buy it and put it on a bike?
                Carl
                http://www.carlscyclesupply.com

Comment

DSC02612.JPG

I am going to call it reproduction. Here is a picture of an OEM horn cover on the left and HD's Softail reproduction on the right. Compare the size of the center bar of the logo and also how close the logo comes to the vertical bars. Some other reproductions have the framed outline in the logo stamped fully like the center bar is. DSC02612.JPG

Jerry

Comment

Carl, I think I’ll hold onto it for now.

Jerry, you might be right, but I’ll still hold onto it.

I compared it to the horn on my father’s 41 knuckle

6E575ED2-723C-4B46-95C8-7D9B6F7BA343.jpeg

0D899413-A37B-4706-B8A8-18B73BF06E13.jpeg

85EA395C-0C04-4835-AE90-CCD5A352B50C.jpeg

I’m guessing the horn on the bike is original, yet the details are not as crisp. Also, the size of the shield is different then the repop(?). For some unknown reason there is an extra hole on the bottom of the face.

Comment

The shields are different sizes….

The horn on the bike shield measures about .400 on the top and about 5/8” on the bottom….

ED948732-186C-4447-A386-E7CD25269092.jpeg1288B3A2-06EE-4FDC-8ACC-BBBC587A8159.jpeg

The horn on the repop(?) measures about 1/2” on the top and about .530 on the bottom.

So some differences, but the face looks nice enough to hold onto.
                      Attached Files

Comment

And yeah, I realize I was reading the calipers wrong.....I'm used to digital, what can I say. Horn on bike has shield .850 on top and 1.075 on bottom, horn cover (repop?) has shield .925 on top and .975 on the bottom.

Comment

Working...
                        X