No announcement yet.

2000 tc88 cam chain tensioner question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2000 tc88 cam chain tensioner question.

Did my first tensioner upgrade on my 2000 and feel confident with the work I did. My question is what do I need to look out for on start up? My concern is oil pressure and how it gets to the motor if the cam chest is empty. Any help on what to keep an eye on? Thanks Murph
    1959 XLCH

Twinkie oil goes thru the filter before the engine,lots of space to fill before it builds pressure.Maybe remove plugs,put them back on the wires & ground them,then crank over the engine with starter a few times to fill the voids before installing plugs & starting.Putting some oil in the filter before installing helps.{If carb,don't turn on gas,if FI remove the fuel pump fuse to keep from flooding.}

Comment

You can use the starter motor as suggested above in the post. Be sure to not crank over more than 12-15 seconds at a time and allow the starter motor time to cool in-between cranking sessions. If you have access to a oil pressurized priming tank, I highly suggest you use one. I personally created a smaller volume, 2 quart, tank system from a siphon paint gun. Any HD motor I build, from flatheads to Milwaukee 8 gets primed with my tank system. I'm a firm believer in it and have used it successfully 100's and 100's of times over the years. You can buy large volume automotive/Diesel tank kits, they are kind of bulky and expensive

Comment

Thanks guys
        1959 XLCH

Comment

Apparently the local HD dealer does no priming.They Start/Fart & sputter,everybody feels like it blew up & then oil pressure reaches the lifters & it all smooths out & runs fine.Factory trained techs.

Comment

Working...
          X