My $500 Harley

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My $500 Harley

My brother and I were talking a few months ago about Then Came Bronson and the bikes they used in the show. I had sent him this picture and it got me thinking (uh oh).

sprint hillclimber.jpg

I will be doing a Bronson Sportster tribute bike, but it would be fun to also have a Bronson Sprint. On a whim I looked at Facebook Marketplace and found this 1971 SS350 not to far from me. I contacted them but wasn't willing to spend the $1200 he wanted (down from $2500!). He had this bike for 20 years and rode it all over. Then it was in storage for the last 10 years. We kept in touch as the price came down until it was only $700 and I went to look yesterday. It was just like the ad said, but the motor wouldn't budge with the kickstarter. It might free up with Marvel Mystery Oil or something, so I offered him $500 and he was happy. He did take some pictures of it on my trailer so there was still some attachment.

IMG_5147.JPG

IMG_5149.JPG

IMG_5140.JPG
    IMG_5151.JPG

Looking at the bike, it is so original and complete that I can't cut it up for something that won't get ridden much. I decided to just free up the motor and clean the bike up but not restore it. New tires, chain and battery will make it a runner that I can have fun with. I love the groovy letters on the badges too.

We were having a celebratory beer and lunch at a local tavern and a guy comes up to me guessing it was my bike on the trailer. He has had five sprints over the years and still has contact info for parts, etc. We exchanged numbers and he'll get me in touch with people. He was also enthused about the originality of mine, with things like hand grips and seat trim being impossible to find. He offered me $505 but I declined, lol.

There are a couple other projects ahead of this one, but I will be working on it little by little. What advice can you give for preserving this time capsule? Thanks

AMCA #41287
    1971 Sprint SS350 project
    1982 FXR - AMCA 98.5 point restoration
    1979 FXS 1200 never done playing
    1998 Dyna Convertible - 100% Original
    96" Evo Softail self built chopper
    2012 103" Road King "per diem"
    plus 13 other bikes over the years...

That's Great Joe! That Sprint was still a fantastic deal at $500. The rings are probably moisture rusted. I always used the cheapest ATF i could find. Do the same, pour a wad in, and let it sit for a few days~gently rock the motorcycle in gear. Of course you'll have to upright the laydown Spring to get 100% saturation, kinda like bleeding the old AMF brakes~haha. Good luck with the build & tribute Joe.

*M.A.D.*
    Last edited by JoJo357; 09-08-2022, 06:43 PM.

Comment

A decade ago, I bought a 69 sprint to flip. I started riding it. . .and I never have sold it. I ride it frequently and just enjoy rolling around on the little beastie

Parts are plentiful and cheap. Doing the top end is a two hour affair and involves no gaskets, just the oil line crush washers. Four head cover bolts, undo push rod adjustment, release carb flange bolts, release oil lines, release exhaust, four head nuts, and all is free.

often, you can fracture or jam up kicker quadrants giving the same feeling as a stuck motor. Put it in 4th and rock it to confirm what’s stuck. The bottom ends are very tough and unlikely to have damage.

the only odd thing about them is that setting the timing is inconvenient.

shout if you need any help.

Comment

Originally posted by chuckthebeatertruck View Post
        A decade ago, I bought a 69 sprint to flip. I started riding it. . .and I never have sold it. I ride it frequently and just enjoy rolling around on the little beastie

Parts are plentiful and cheap. Doing the top end is a two hour affair and involves no gaskets, just the oil line crush washers. Four head cover bolts, undo push rod adjustment, release carb flange bolts, release oil lines, release exhaust, four head nuts, and all is free.

often, you can fracture or jam up kicker quadrants giving the same feeling as a stuck motor. Put it in 4th and rock it to confirm what’s stuck. The bottom ends are very tough and unlikely to have damage.

the only odd thing about them is that setting the timing is inconvenient.

shout if you need any help.
        Thanks, I will. I just bought a shop manual and waiting to get a parts manual. For fun I bought a 1970 owners manual and an issue of The Enthusiast that features a 72 Sprint. Glad the top end is so easy.

I'll give the rocking in 4th a try, but the other thing that may be wrong is there may be a shift dog issue as the lever felt too easy to move.

What's your suggestion for cleaning it up without a restoration? Would polishing the paint be too much? How about aluminum, just clean with a plastic brush or get more aggressive? Spokes?
        AMCA #41287

Comment

I like Sprints and rode lots of them in the old days (70s) as a dealership wrench. Of course my favorites were the competition models. We sponsored an ERS for flattrack. I had a '68SS and a '65H at different times. Now makes me want one again!
          Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

I had a Sprint Great bike. Good find!

Comment

Thanks, I did put the bike in all the gears today and rocked it back and forth. I think it will loosen up with some ATF or Marvel Mystery Oil. Something for another day.
              AMCA #41287

Comment

Hey Joe, I have a complete oem Bronson exhaust system (mufflers, shields, header, clamps and bracket) I no longer plan on using. If interested send me a PM.

Comment

Originally posted by otis71 View Post
                  Hey Joe, I have a complete oem Bronson exhaust system (mufflers, shields, header, clamps and bracket) I no longer plan on using. If interested send me a PM.
                  Thank you but I already found one. Thanks for putting this out for anyone else looking for an original quiet exhaust system.
                  AMCA #41287

Comment

Working...
                  X