Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My 1946 gas tank keeps locking up tight ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My 1946 gas tank keeps locking up tight ?

Good day , well not when I tried to open my gas tank on my 46 Servi… It’s happened several times now , I try to open the gas shut off and it’s locked tight… … Any ideas how to correct this? I don’t want to screw up my tank using channel locks . I dont shut it tight so don’t get it? I’m very new to maintaining my own bike …. I do store her in an enclosed trailer … Maybe the heat? Thanks for any help on this.
    Last edited by Mdesoucey; 08-15-2021, 06:23 AM.

Sounds diabolical, Mdesoucey!

So I wouldn't venture a guess until after some inspection: The first thing I would do is remove the fuel line from the petcock, and see if it drips while sitting.
    If it does, then you have every reason to take it all apart for inspection anyway.

If it doesn't drip at all, I sure wouldn't fix it.

The knob extentions don't help much, but its pretty easy to grind down some common "farmer' pliers so they don't hit the paint, and they fit in the tool bag better.
    Those of us with crippled fingers appreciate them even if it isn't sticky.

....Cotten
    AMCA #776
    Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Thank you … a good plan

Comment

Most likely cause is just old age and some crusty-ness inside.

Comment

Thank you . I was able to nudge it open with players but if it keeps up may investigate it further for replacement

Comment

A shaft with a machined seat like that can bind for a variety of reasons. If misalignment it will likely leak badly. If perfectly sealed it can bind from the fit of the taper. Hopefully your issue is the latter as a good fit is an elusive quality!
            Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

If it does seep, Mdesoucey,...

You will want the rod tip re-cut, which takes about five minutes on a lathe.

And then wrench the seat upon it real good once or twice, and then give it the suck-test finger tight.

As far as the sticking, observation and cleaning may give a clue,.. Many gremlins mysteriously escape while putting things back together.

....Cotten
              PS: If I had to bet, it would be that the little cork at the top has disintegrated, and the spring/washer are binding. Shelving the spring and washer, I found a pair of common neoprene roofing nail seals work great!
              But I still produced viton seals (courtesy the late Paul Andrews) with a conical PEEK spacer, for about a hundred times the cost...

The upper assembly can be inspected without removing the lower petcock and rod, if it miraculously does not seep.
              Last edited by T. Cotten; 08-16-2021, 12:24 PM.
              AMCA #776

Comment

We make a gas valve that has a PEEK tip and a stainless steel insert for the seat for a leak proof valve that you only have to turn down lightly for a positive seal.
                Carl

605-225-5702
                Carl's Cycle Supply
                http://www.carlscyclesupply.com

Comment

The 45" model too, Carl?

(Couldn't find it on your site,...)

How about the 62085-40 seals in PEEK?

(I just finished a batch, or I can supply a chunk o' stock at D-port if you like!)

....Cotten
                  PS: $.25 a gram, Folks.

PKSCRAP2.JPG
                  AMCA #776

Comment

I have Carl's gas valve in my 45, probably 4 years now, it does not leak. Worthy upgrade.

Comment

A correction to my last post, Folks,...

My PEEK scraps are now $.35 a gram...

Shorter pieces upon request!

PEEKCORE.jpg

....Cotten
                      AMCA #776

Comment

Working...
                      X