cad plated acorn nuts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cad plated acorn nuts

I some acorn nuts I need help in identifying. They are cad plated, have 9/16" - 24 threads and fit a 5/8" wrench. The package is very old and I think it is marked 0140 and maybe 2371-15.
    Those part numbers aren't in the part number cross reference I have.
    My oldest parts book is from 1939 and is in bad shape, so paging through it has become dangerous right now. The pages are deteriorating, I will have to take a few days and scan it into my PC sometime soon.

Anybody have some insight as to what these are?

It used to be fun taking oddball parts like this to meets years ago for answers, but the times have changed.

belmont
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 1 photos.

Originally posted by belmont View Post
    I some acorn nuts I need help in identifying. They are cad plated, have 9/16" - 24 threads and fit a 5/8" wrench. The package is very old and I think it is marked 0140 and maybe 2371-15.
    Those part numbers aren't in the part number cross reference I have.
    My oldest parts book is from 1939 and is in bad shape, so paging through it has become dangerous right now. The pages are deteriorating, I will have to take a few days and scan it into my PC sometime soon.

Anybody have some insight as to what these are?

It used to be fun taking oddball parts like this to meets years ago for answers, but the times have changed.

belmont
    They look like the oil passage caps that come on NOS engines and the like. WLA engines had them on all the oil pump fittings for shipment. Jerry
    Last edited by Jerry Wieland; 03-03-2021, 09:57 PM.

Comment

Thanks Jerry, you nailed it. I checked my oil line fitting collection and found a perfect fit on one from that era. Once again you have the answer for me. Maybe I can thank you in person someday.

Karel

Comment

Originally posted by belmont View Post
        Thanks Jerry, you nailed it. I checked my oil line fitting collection and found a perfect fit on one from that era. Once again you have the answer for me. Maybe I can thank you in person someday.

Karel
        I have never seen them in cadmium finish but I have them in olive drab and black paint.

Jerry

Comment

Originally posted by Jerry Wieland View Post

I have never seen them in cadmium finish but I have them in olive drab and black paint.

Jerry
          It is likely that civilian engine assemblies of the era had them as well.
          Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Originally posted by Rubone View Post

It is likely that civilian engine assemblies of the era had them as well.
            I would suspect that cad is earlier. The olive drab ones I got off some NOS WLA engines I bought at a local manufacturer that went out of business. They had bought a bunch of surplus engines after the war to power pickle pickers that they built but found they overheated. The black ones came on new knucklehead and panhead oil pumps I bought 40 years ago.

Comment

I've even got some nickel plated ones and think they go back to the mid to late teens..
              I was told by old HD mechanics here in NZ that they were supplied to blank off the oil feed on the oil tank meaning that you didn't need to drain the oil tank when you took the tanks off the bike.
              In practice you still lose oil and make a small mess when you release the pipe and screw that bung on but most of the oil stays in the tank..
              Peter Thomson, a.k.a. Tommo
              A.M.C.A. # 2777
              Palmerston North, New Zealand.

Comment

Originally posted by Tommo View Post
                I've even got some nickel plated ones and think they go back to the mid to late teens..
                I was told by old HD mechanics here in NZ that they were supplied to blank off the oil feed on the oil tank meaning that you didn't need to drain the oil tank when you took the tanks off the bike.
                In practice you still lose oil and make a small mess when you release the pipe and screw that bung on but most of the oil stays in the tank..
                Tommo is correct.

Colony makes them if anyone needs any.

Colony #9808-6 Oil Nipple Cap CAD Harley 1915-64 OEM 3583-15 – Lowbrow Customs

Comment

Working...
                X