No announcement yet.

Anybody able to tell me what this for?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anybody able to tell me what this for?

I have 4 of these brackets. They were in a used parts envelope with PN 91589-49 hand written on it. I can't find anything in my old accessory catalogs from the 50's and 60's showing this part. My guess is it is something for the 2 cycle singles, think of the " Hummer " and the 165cc bikes. I sold all of my 2 cycle single parts books 30 years ago thinking I would never need them, brilliant!

Thanks for taking the time to consider this.
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 4 photos.

Those are front license plate clips for hummer. Some states back then like Iowa required front and rear plates. That part bolted to the fender and another bracket bolted to it to hold the plate.

Comment

That was my suspicion. Any idea how late in the years they fit?

Comment

The early fender is only '48-'50, then the design changed for '51 and the radius in cross section is totally different, so it likely would no longer fit.
        Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Thanks, Rubone. I couldn't find them in my 1951 accessory catalog. So if these are just for the front fender on 1948 to 1950 2 cycle singles,
          Did they ever get put in a catalog or parts book?

Comment

Originally posted by belmont View Post
            Thanks, Rubone. I couldn't find them in my 1951 accessory catalog. So if these are just for the front fender on 1948 to 1950 2 cycle singles,
            Did they ever get put in a catalog or parts book?
            I didn't find them in the early parts book. I'll look in the accessory catalog.
            Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Rubone, I found 91586-49 in my 1951 Accessory catalog on page 20 which is a front license plate bracket made for springer front ends. The 125 Single pages don't have these little brackets shown. I wish I had a 1949 or 1950 Accessory catalog to check and maybe put this mystery to bed.
              Thanks for taking the time to search for me.

Comment

Yeah, I have that '51 catalog. I also have every other accessory catalog (from 27-70) including the 125 specific one, and those parts are not shown anywhere. I have the '49 accessory price list and that number does not show up. So no idea where it may be described.
                Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

This is from my 55 parts catalog it doesn't show the part but it gives the part number.

Comment

Thanks, this should pretty much solve the mystery.

belmont

Comment

You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                      This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

I believe this is the license plate holder that bolts to that part.

Comment

Thanks for the photo. I am pretty sure I don't have one of those.
                          It looks like it is PN 91586-49 from my 1951 and 1956 Accessory catalogs. My 1947 Accessory catalog shows the same thing as PN 11343-31 for 1931 to 1936 models and the 1937 to 1947 45" twins. For the 1936 Knucklehead and 1937 to 1947 big twins it is PN 13343-36.
                          The part number cross reference doesn't list these old accessory numbers, but my guess is that 13343-36 and 91586-49 are the same part.

Karel

Comment

Here is one mounted on a BT/45 setup..hole spacing matches the horn. DCP_4587.JPG
                            Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Rubone, thanks for all your help in figuring out I have the worlds supply of another part that never had a market. I will put them back on the shelf in the curiosities box along with the others.

belmont

Comment

Working...
                              X